News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Back on the road!

Started by Nick Calne, May 11, 2017, 10:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Good news!  My steamer is back on the road with new exhausts, the entire range of consumables, various small bits and bobs, some paint work repairs, oh and a new rear wheel.  Throw in a service and MOT, and we are probably talking around a thousand pounds spent since last season in one way or another with still a few tweaks to make.  It might not have come together at all as I was seriously pissy with the bike at one point.  I want to ride not be a mechanic and there is only so many bad, rusted, sheered, crumbling bolts a man can cope with.  A certain few people here gave me the inspiration (and parts) to continue - so a little heartfelt thank you to them.  You know who you are.  :thumbsup

This has been the longest period off the bike for a while, or it would have been if I hadn't got impatient and bought a new Africa Twin.  Which leaves me in the pleasant position of having two bikes of a roughly similar nature to choose from, so how do they compare?  Or more precisely what does comparing them reveal?  Up until now I have not been able to ride them back to back.

Now at this point I could launch into a massive analysis of how the Africa twin was better in this way or that and certainly suspension, steering and stopping are ridiculously better.  My steamer is in fairly fine form and it is comically, hilariously woeful at these things and much slower overall as a result.  I've been running into junctions hot, largely as I hadn't realised how fast I was going on the twin.  I recall watching Ivor go into corners at the meet up last year on his tiger 800 and realising just how old hat the steamer is in this department.  If I am not mistaken Jaydub and Threepot had similar thoughts.

I could also mention that having a gear position indicator is cool, knowing how much fuel is on board is useful and the integration of the rack, pillion grabs and the hard luggage is wonderful.  It goes off road super confidently and doesn't have that 'front is going to wash out any moment' feeling the steamer does.  The Africa twin also sounds absolutely fantastic.  The magazines are right, it is amazing, and you will cry your little Hinckley heart out when you see how easy it is to change an air filter on this thing.

But after today's ride I can confirm that somehow the steamer still is the one that makes me smile.  Or more accurately brings out the biggest smile.  I simply could not wait to get home today and get out there.  I took a short ride, wow it is actually quite hard to ride, harder still to just push about and I would have dropped it but for the might of Mrs Nickcalne hauling it back up from 45 degrees at one point.....but that engine... it's still amazing.  It can't only be 85bhp can it?  That Lancaster bomber engine sound, especially through the new pipes, what a noise.  What a great piece of kit, proper fun once it is moving, so stable.

There is a certain something about the steamer.  It's not a machine, it is a happiness generator.  The love affair is back on, perhaps I'll buy it some more presents.  Finish the saddle project, perhaps a 17" front wheel.... hmmm.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

bemusedinsojo

I looked at the Africa Twin the other day........

ssevy

We have a radio show here in the States called "Car Talk" which is pretty funny. The two brothers who did the show (one is deceased) also wrote a book many years ago that someone gave me as a gift.
Reading this made me think of one of their rules:
Always fix the little things as they break, because if you don't do so and let them accumulate unattended, someday you'll wonder why you're driving such a piece of shit!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

Completely true ssevy and in fairness I generally do just that. I think a few things just sneaked up on me and then there is just the age of the thing. 20 years old this year, I guess one just has to expect this periodically.

London_Phil

The only reason I sold my Steamer was the agro with the carbs, due to my low use riding pattern these days.
My XC is nice, but its not a Steamer.
If that guy who did his own injection conversion had ever created a kit, I would have bitten his arm off, so to speak.
I'm glad my old ones getting the use it warrants, I miss it, but my circumstance dictated the Injection based system.
As Danwarb saw when he collected the Steamer, trying to ride down a 100 yard grass drive, with the choke open, and the bike screaming at 3k was less than fun every time.

ssevy

With my youngest daughter still in college, there will not be a new bike in my garage any time soon. This makes it easy to love my Steamer, as the cost with everything I have done to it is probably less than $5000. The ability to diagnose and fix problems without a dealer is also a plus, and I do love the triple!
The only bike that could make my heart ache with longing is the Tiger Sport, but that's not available here. As I get older, maybe add a sidecar or look for a Rocket 3 with a sidecar.
The Africa Twin felt very similar to my Tiger when I sat on one at the dealer. The other thing is I like the looks of the Steamer more than any of the new Triumph models, so I would have to get used to a new look.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

I have a hard time justifying a new bike when the season is so short here. I've seen snow in July, though not often, and no where near as cold as Finland (Ice on the visor? OMG) but I can't justify a payment for something that lives in the garage at least half time. I bought the steamer on a whim but it has grown on me like a fungus. I'm afraid if I sell it, it will haunt me, then I'll have to hire an exorcist to stop the haunting.

Nick Calne

I think if you are tall enough to ride one and you 'get' what steamers are about then it is pretty hard to see what else could match it.

But like Phil stated when he was selling his to Dan, you kinda need to be involved with it daily and prepared to work on the bike frequently.

I can't do that, I'm time poor in a big way so I guess I have to have something reliable otherwise rides can be months in between owing even a small problem.

So the big blue tiger is now a very lovely second bike. That said it'll get good run this weekend is the weather holds out!

threepot

I've spent a couple of days 'tinkering' with mine,getting it ready for an mot hopefully tomorrow,weather permitting?
I've had an enjoyable few weeks on the Super3,since it's valve job. I'm surprised how smooth and mechanically quite it is. Maybe mixing the valve buckets,and cylinder liners up helped? :icon_wink:
I went thru the usual starting procedure with thuse engines after a few months rest..charge battery,choke,press starter,engine cranks half a dozen times,it splutters. 2nd or was it 3rd attempt?,cranks a few times,then fires! Turn choke down so its just on a fast idle.Give the oil a chance to circulate. This engine spins quicker than the Super3 on the starter button. Higher bhp,and high comp pistons probably slow it down? It sounds like a bloody diesel! Lol. But it does smooth out and quieten down as it warms. I use the steamer all year. That,and a cold,slightly damp garage ,has taken its toll on a few parts. The chain needed a good lubing,and wire brushing with wd40. It's now looking presentable again. The rear wheel was in a bit of a mess. But it looks OK now after a good clean,and some silver wheel paint . So after a new radiator cap,some new bulbs,a clean and polish,it's ready to go! I'm really looking forward to riding it again. Cos I am quite fond of the old bugger! And as Nick stated,I'll probably have a big grin on my face tomorrow :icon_biggrin:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

If it goes through the MOT with no fuss you will be smiling.

threepot

Passed mot,cost me just £7..New radiator cap,and a bulb. Not bad for 21yr old. Took it for a spin,and yes Nick,had a smile on my face :thumbsup Just love this bike!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sparky

Interesting comparison as I sold my Steamer in the fall and bought a new Africa Twin.  I would have kept the Steamer but I already have two older Hondas' and another bigger ADV bike would not make sense as insurance is not cheap where I live and letting them sit is a waste so I figured I should pass it on and let someone else enjoy it.

I agree with most of your comments except for the air filter thing yes it's easier than the Steamer but you still have to remove a lot of tupperware to access the filters on the AT.

Token pics cause we all like pics.

1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

Nick Calne

Tupperware is less complicated than a set of carbs surely!  :mut

Pity about the insurance thing. It was £15 to insure the steamer full comp on the back of the AT's insurance this year for me.

Madruss

Quote from: ssevy on May 12, 2017, 04:22:20 AMAlways fix the little things as they break, because if you don't do so and let them accumulate unattended, someday you'll wonder why you're driving such a piece of shit!
That's a crack up  :thumbsup  Well said
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!