News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Hazard light Switch

Started by Sidk, May 16, 2017, 09:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

while giving the switches a test today, i see that my hazard light switch sticks.
basically the hazard lights stay on and the switch doesnt work "easily" to turn them off, i have to press on the switch with a hard object like a key and even then there is no guarantee that it turns off the hazard lights and pops out.

anyone have an idea? before i go blindly fidling with things..  :icon_mrgreen:

Sin_Tiger

Not unusual as plastic switches get older and dust / grit accumulate inside. Just take it apart slowly, clean everything with WD40 or similar then blow it all out to dry it before lubricating everything with my old favourite Dielectric grease (waiting fir the leg pulling :icon_rolleyes: ) Do all for switches one at a time and you won't have to touch them again for a long time.

Be careful not to damage the small plastic "pin" that locates the switch block in the matching hole on the bars when refitting (if it isn't already broken off). If you find any green / blue corrosion on the copper switch contracts, use a small fibreglass bristle cleaning brush rather than abrasive paper. Both the brush and the grease you should be able to find in a void electronics / electrical store.

If you want to restore the colour to the push button, try using a piece of "Magic Eraser" slightly wet, then use some wax wood polish. You may have a different name for "Magic Eraser" in Greece, it's usually sold in hardware stores in a large white block, just cut off what you need, it's also great for cleaning muck and flies from your helmet and visor without scratching or using chemicals.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sidk

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 17, 2017, 12:43:20 AM
Not unusual as plastic switches get older and dust / grit accumulate inside. Just take it apart slowly, clean everything with WD40 or similar then blow it all out to dry it before lubricating everything with my old favourite Dielectric grease (waiting fir the leg pulling :icon_rolleyes: ) Do all for switches one at a time and you won't have to touch them again for a long time.

Be careful not to damage the small plastic "pin" that locates the switch block in the matching hole on the bars when refitting (if it isn't already broken off). If you find any green / blue corrosion on the copper switch contracts, use a small fibreglass bristle cleaning brush rather than abrasive paper. Both the brush and the grease you should be able to find in a void electronics / electrical store.

If you want to restore the colour to the push button, try using a piece of "Magic Eraser" slightly wet, then use some wax wood polish. You may have a different name for "Magic Eraser" in Greece, it's usually sold in hardware stores in a large white block, just cut off what you need, it's also great for cleaning muck and flies from your helmet and visor without scratching or using chemicals.

thanks for the insight... (especially the bit about the plastic "pin")
:thumbsup

I'm a fan of the magical dielectric known as WD40 as well (its like Windex, full of magical properties..  :icon_wink: )