News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2nd annual Blue Ridge British Bike Rally 9/22 & 9/23 2017

Started by VABird, June 03, 2017, 03:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VABird

I just got with two of the hotels today; Days Inn (540)586-8286 & Super 8 - (540) 707-2062, in Bedford VA and both are on board with the group rates. $54.95 at Days, and $69.99 (King bed) and $79.99 (2 queen beds) at Super 8. (Use Blue Ridge British Bike Rally as discount code.) Both are about 15 miles from meet-up. Discounts apply Thursday 9/21/17 to Saturday 9/23/17.
It'll be about ten more days before I can pin down Peaks of Otter Lodge (POOL). Expect in the $150/night range; pricey, but beautiful setting.
There is also camping about 1/2 mile from POOL.

This year we will not meet at POOL parking lot, but at the Peaks of Otter Visitor Center/Country Store about 3/10 mile south. There's more parking and we're expecting more participation this year.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

VABird

OK. Here's the latest for Blue Ridge British Bike Rally 2 {BRBBR}. Friday-Sept 22 & Sat Sept 23, 2017. Peaks of Otter Visitor Center (BRP & Rte 43). Kickstands up both days @ 10:00. Rides of about 200 miles through the mountains & valleys planned each day. Centered near Bedford VA.
Here's from the hotels that are onboard. All rooms are plus taxes (about 11%)

Peaks of Otter Lodge {POOL} @ Milepost 86 on the Blue Ridge Parkway {BRP}; is 1/4 mile from the visitor center where we will gather. Rooms are renovated. No phones in rooms. Don't expect cell phone coverage, but you might get lucky. Ask about internet availability if you can't turn off for the weekend.
Thurs. 9/21 = $123.03 for king or two double beds. Fri. & Sat. 9/22-23 = $170 per night for king or two double beds. Sun. 9/24 = $123.03 for king or two double beds (there is no planned ride Sunday. This is just if you want to stay in the area longer.) ALL Rooms & public areas are SMOKE FREE. Share a room.
1 night deposit. cancel more than 3 days away = $15 fee. Cancel under 3 days = loss of deposit. Rooms open to public after 8/21/17. Recommend reserving early.
Reserve @ Link Use discount code "5AE9BL" or "Blue Ridge British Bike Rally" or call 800-542-5927.
Restaurant on premises. Sandwich & ice cream shop under renovation nearby. Should be open by BRBBR.

Super 8- Bedford VA 842 Sword Beach Lane, Bedford VA. (540)-707-2062. About 12 miles from Peaks of Otter visitor center on BRP where we will gather .
Thurs. 9/21 - Sun. 9/24 = One King bed = $69.99/night. Two Queens = $79.99/night. 20 rooms reserved. Rooms open to public after 8/21/17. Recommend reserving early. (there is no planned ride Sunday. This is just if you want to stay in the area longer.) Breakfast is included. It is unknown if you can get the rate online, so call for reservation. Use "Blue Ridge British Bike Rally" for discount. Share a room.

Days Inn Bedford VA 921 Blue Ridge Ave (U.S. 460) (540) 586-8286. About 12 miles from Peaks of Otter visitor center on BRP where we will gather.
Thurs. 9/21 - Sat. 9/23 = $54.95/night. Use "Blue Ridge British Bike Rally" for discount. Cancel by 4:00 PM day before or forfeit deposit. One King/queen or two double beds available. Smoking/non smoking. It is unknown if you can get the rate online, so call for reservation. Use "Blue Ridge British Bike Rally" for discount. Share a room.

Bedford VA B&B's available also Link
National D-Day Memorial is only a couple miles from Days Inn & Super 8.
Variety of good chain and independent restaurants in Bedford.
Camping available near Peaks of Otter visitor center.
This is some of the best riding east of the Mississippi River; curvy, hilly roads, mostly smooth. Don't miss it!!

The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.

VABird

One week until they start to give our rooms away.
5 weeks until the BRBBR2!
Book rooms soon. GREAT RIDING!!

VABird

Come one come all.
Let's see the Tigers outnumber the Bonnies this year.
Only 3 weeks 'til some of the best riding in the East.

VABird

Since hotels have indicated sharing rooms is ok, some have asked me if there are any that wish to do so.
I don't know who is coming or where, so if you wish to share a room, indicate if you have one to share, or desire one.
Which hotel (cost wise) may be helpful too, smoking/non.... etc.
You can settle by PMs.
Bob

VABird

Laid out the first day's ride today. About 190 miles. Looks like early fall here as there is already color in the leaves. Temps in low to mid 80's expected; 8-10* cooler at elevations.
The plan is:
Kickstands up @ 10:00.<B> BE GASSED AND READY. NO GAS ON BRP</B> until we get to Floyd (about 95 miles). There is a gas station about 5 miles south of the BRP at POOL on rte 43. They have Regular (87) - ($2.50), 89 - ($2.70) & non-ethanol 93 - ($3.00). Separate pumps so you get what you pay for.
There may be a small delay as there is resurfacing south of the Peaks, but not more than a few minutes to wait for a "Follow Me" truck for a couple miles.

Ride for about 45 minutes till the first break at Explore park (M.P. 116 on BRP).  There are real restrooms, a shop and interpretive site.
There are no other restrooms between POOL & destination on the Parkway except for a picnic area (M.P. 154)

80 miles south on the BRP for lunch at Tuggles Gap (M.P. 165 on BRP- Rte 8). We should arrive there about 12:30
After lunch, Rte 8 to Floyd VA, then East on 221 for gas stop (Exxon). (about 1/4 mile from rte 8) At least a dozen pumps.
Back country roads to Shawsville, then Catawba for another stop (about an hour) There are 2 gas pumps there & country store.
Back country roads to Fincastle, then Buchanan. Final gas stop. It's about 10 miles back to POOL from there.

I'll pre-ride Saturday's ride Wed or Thur., but planning to go north to the start of BRP, then rte 250 east to rte 151. Devil's Backbone for lunch. Details to follow.

VABird

Laid out the second day today. North on BRP. As I rode it today, I encountered the first time that one of their many "Loose gravel" signs was true. It was 10 miles of mess between Rte 56 (M.P. 30) and U.S. 60 (M.P. 46). When I got to the end of it I stopped and talked to what appeared to be a foreman, who assured me it gets swept clean each evening and they are not working that area on Saturday. Other areas with warning signs seem to support his claim.
But just in case, we'll take a detour down U.S. 60. and some back roads to 56 and back to the BRP. It'll add about 20 miles, but the roads are just as nice; just looking up at the scenery instead of down at it!
We'll return a slightly different route, so as not to break the Ride Captain's Cardinal Rule.
Total ride about 200 miles.
Here I was... above the clouds.