News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Output Shaft Seal - WTF

Started by ssevy, May 26, 2017, 08:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Shit, shit, shit!!!!

I'm supposed to leave on an 11-day trip on Tuesday, and then this :icon_frown:

I could not get the spacer loose to give me better access to pull off the old seal, so I used a small screwdriver, driving it into the old seal to remove it. I did this after consulting the factory manual to be sure there was nothing behind it that I could damage.
Well, there was a plastic piece behind the seal that is not shown in the manual and is apparently part of the bearing, and of course I broke it.
So, what are my options:
1- leave the rest of the piece as is, put in the new seal and cross my fingers?
2- remove the rest of the plastic, put in the new seal and cross my fingers?
3- ?

Here's the manual diagram I referenced:

And here is the plastic piece partially broken:

Of course, I also nicked the damn soft aluminum spacer on the shaft, and would like to pull that off to polish out the nick, as it lies right where the seal is. Any hints on how to do this?

Maybe time to put the insurance back on the Legend and worry about this when I get home?

If I do have to replace that bearing, it looks like a big deal?

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

London_Phil

EDIT
Closer look ...Looks like a roller bearing, not a ball bearing,
May be some form of spacing mechanism for the rollers.

https://www.bearingbasement.com/product/bearings/nu206ecp-c3-skf-single-row-cylindrical-roller-bearing-metric/

Its possible you could get a replacement bearing and swap the guide out, but I'm not as confident as my first response was now.

ssevy

None that I can see. It appears that there are plastic teeth that also go in the gaps of the bearing, and I'm guessing these are attached to a similar plastic ring behind the bearing.

London_Phil

Yeah , its part of a spacing mechanism for the rollers.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NJ-206-30x62x16-mm-Cylindrical-Roller-Bearing-/222244447283
Either its a polymide assy that has broken, and is brittle, or its the outer of an assembly.
Can you identify any hardware between the rollers? its not easy to see from the photo.
You might be lucky, if there is an inner separator mechanism, and it'll be OK for a trip, but probably a longer term replacement project.
Not really a bearing expert, but unless you can source a replacement, and fit it by Tuesday, Its probably a judgement call.
Not very helpful I'm afraid.

Mustang

the bearing is more than likely fucked now ..............

it may appear good but a 100 miles later it isn't going to play out so well I'm afraid.

it is probabaly at least an interference fit to the shaft (more likely pressed on )

your probbly looking at a case split as thats the main transmission output shaft ...............

get the Legend out or cancel the trip ..........cuz your riding buddies will hate you on wednesday!

ssevy

Thanks for that. I had called my insurance agent earlier and put the insurance back on the Legend, so that's that.

Should have let sleeping dogs lie I guess. I'll have quite a project when I get back home.

Oh well😥

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on May 26, 2017, 10:09:27 PM
the bearing is more than likely fucked now ..............

:nod hate to say it but the cage is essential.

Enjoy the trip on the Legend  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I spent some time looking at the pictures in the Haynes manual this morning, and still cannot see the plastic bits with the bearing. Is there another type they used, or am I going to get the same thing when I order it?
I will do lots of searching and read up before I do this, but I'm thinking that some of the engine stripping steps won't be necessary?
For example, why pull the pistons and liners? Can't I just pull the cams and chain, flip the bastard to remove the crank, but leave the pistons and liners in the top half? I realize this will all become obvious once I begin, but I'm hoping I can do just what is necessary to get to the secondary tranny shaft and leave as much as possible undisturbed.
Last question - I have serious lower back issues, and working on the bike on its center stand on the floor is killing me. Any of you used a lift, and should I drop $299 at Harbor Freight to get one for this job?
Thanks for the help as always!

bemusedinsojo

Which lift? I've got back issues too an get tired of kneeling. Sorry about the seal. I almost did the same thing but Timbox castigated me properly. You should do a write up. Because someday someone like me will need it.

Sin_Tiger

I'm using a Big Blue currently with the Thruxton on it but the plan is to make a specific adaptor for each bike.

I haven't tried lifting the Steamer (using the heavy duty universal mount) with it but I have no doubt it'll be strong and stable enough.

The replacement bearing could be different as technology and materials have moved on in over 20 years, I wish the bearings in our ageing frames could be so easily replaced, OK I admit I'm a bit older than the Steamer  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint