News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stranded.

Started by cba191, June 07, 2017, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

:BangHead

Had half a tank left, so I stopped to top it off. Won't start back up it sounds like it does when the kickstand is down.  Any ideas while I wait for AAA?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

London_Phil

Had similar problems with a Steamer, poor connection inside the switch. Try working the sidestand up n down multiple times, possibly spray wd40 down it if you can access it??

cba191

Sprayed it down. Worked it. Still nothing. WAS is on the way, which is embarrassing.

Timbox2

I can never remember this properly, but Is it that if the engine turns but doesnt fire its sidestand switch, if engine wont turn at all its clutch switch?
2016 Tiger Sport

cba191

I'm wondering if the fuel pump took a dump

Misterplant

Have to agree with my learned colleagues-sounds like a short circuit,probably a cut out switch,maybe ignition-try giving the switch wires a good waggle around,you never know....just the bleeding obvious thought..you havnt caught the kill switch by accident? We've all done it at some point.

cba191

There isn't any sound from the fuel pump when I first turn the key. That's where I'm leaning at this point.

Misterplant

starting from the beginning..you turn the key and you get the idiot lights come on? No sound from the fuel pump but does the engine turn over?
If your convinced it's the fuel pump,lift the seats and check the pump relay to start with,from memory it's the one nearest the front located near the fuse box.it should click when you turn ignition on/off.
Also check the pump electrical connector left side of tank which should be possible while you have the seat off,just in case of corroded contacts or dodgy wires.
Fuses all good?
the more information you can provide,the easier in theory it gets to rule out what it ain't!

VABird

Seen it too many times. The kill switch can have a small amount of corrosion. It comes apart pretty easily to check & clean.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Chris Canning

Quote from: cba191 on June 08, 2017, 07:51:53 AM
There isn't any sound from the fuel pump when I first turn the key. That's where I'm leaning at this point.

What does that mean?? 'first'

I'd look at my recent post about my relay.

I could turn my ignition on press the start button and it would turn over but not fire,turn the ignition on count to 3 the lights would go brighter and the fuel pump would prime then it would fire and some times it stop running altogether a new relay has transformed it.

cba191

I'll check the relay.
Idiot lights come on. Starter starts cranking, but it seems as if no fuel is getting to the motor.
I just need to get the bike out of the uhaul and into my garage.

Ossian

Something similar happened to mine about a year ago. When I went to restart the bike after refuelling, everything checked out OK, lights, action, pump etc. but it would not run. Turned out to be a faulty CPS of all things.

Chris Canning

Quote from: cba191 on June 08, 2017, 06:51:38 PM
I'll check the relay.
Idiot lights come on. Starter starts cranking, but it seems as if no fuel is getting to the motor.
I just need to get the bike out of the uhaul and into my garage.

If you look at the other thread I could turn the ignition on and the motor would turn over but wouldn't fire,if I turned the ignition on counted to 3 the lights got brighter and you could hear the pump prime and it would fire and it also had a habit of stopping when it felt like it.

cba191

cba191

I went to start it today, and it fired right up. I'm going to look into that relay issue.