News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant spew

Started by rex007can, June 14, 2017, 02:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex007can

I tried to search but didn't do a good job and couldn't find the answer.

I have an 2001 girly.
Had some issues with coolant boiling and spewing.
Changed the rad cap a few weeks ago (had a spare lying around)... didn't do it.

So when rolling everything seems fine. But if I get stopped in traffic, the temp "seems" ok for a few minutes, then creeps up, then appears to surge, then there's a boil, steam comes out the overflow and temp goes back down some, but not down to normal operating temp, still a bit high until I roll again.

Rinse/repeat.

The fan does come on, but maybe to late? I'm don't know. :m

Bad thermostat? Bad rad cap again? Blown waterpump? Air in the system?

Where IS the thermostat?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Chris Canning

As is the way it come be any of what you have mention but!!!!

You used another rad cap was it new cuz if it wasn't then your still in the unknown.

When you changed the cap what process did you go through when doing it?? Did you down the system and start again??

The thermo is in the housing just follow the pipes.

If it was mine I put a new thermo and rad cap on down the system and refill as per the instructions ie slowly and that includes the header tank,and give it another go.

rex007can

The cap was "new" oem.
2 years ago the one I had failed. I ordered an OEM which was taking way too long for delivery, so I got a Subaru, which I read fit.

So yeah, it was lying at the bottom of my tool bag, but was never used.

Chris Canning

rex007can

Well, I refilled slow, tried to burp it a few times, squeezed the hoses etc etc. as upright as possible. At the time it was short on coolant even though there was some in the overflow.

Chris Canning

You've lost me about short on coolant?

rex007can

There was a significant amount of coolant missing from the radiator even if there was coolant in the overflow.

Chris Canning

I'd put a new thermostat in and try again.

rex007can

Yah, that makes sense I think.

Thanks for the tip.