News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wherever next?

Started by mat-tiger1, July 05, 2017, 10:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

Ok, I'll be the one to ask! :icon_redface: Following on from our ultra-successful Cotswold meet up :icon_cool: a few members asked 'wherever next?'  :m
So bearing in mind how long it takes for the group to come up with suggestions & make decisions etc. I thought it might be useful to start the ball rolling.

Nick mentioned that he was possibly looking at a little adventure across the channel later this year to ride a little of northern France over a long weekend  & a couple of you mentioned a yearning to travel across to the emerald isle or possibly further afield for the next annual meet in 2018.

Other suggestions are of course welcome (please keep them clean! :icon_rolleyes:) as to what we should be getting up to for the rest of this year (lots of it left!) and for the annual meet-up next year.  :thumbsup
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Nick Calne

I'd really like to do Southern Ireland at some point. It would be good to do that as a group....ride...pub...repeat for a week.

If people could only make a weekend, and I appreciate it is difficult to get away, then we could make a part of it the tiger triple ride 2018. If that's what people wanted.

As for France I am giving some thought to a long weekend trip this year which basically goes something like Portsmouth to Cherbourg (or whatever) across Northern france and back via Dunkirk to Dover and home.

Other stuff: I have a week in late August where the wife is in Italy on a course, the kids are away, the dog is in kennels and the cats are in the cattery. And I have a bike and no fixed plans... May go up to Scotland if anyone fancies a ride up.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 06, 2017, 09:05:16 AM
And I have a bike and no fixed plans... May go up to Scotland if anyone fancies a ride up.

Could do a recce in the borders for a 2018 fall back plan  :augie. Spare room / tent space available.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Sounds good Sin.  Let's have a chat about it some time soon.

John Stenhouse

When in August Nick? I like the Northern France idea, got a friend in Alencon with a couple of spare rooms.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Nick Calne

OK Mr Stenhouse, Mr Matthias

This is what I have in mind, subject to ongoing further refinement.  A 5ish day trip, possibly heading out on a Thursday back on Monday or Tuesday depending on how things go.  Generally less than 200 miles / 5.5 hrs riding a day, mixture of smaller roads, all tarmac in France.  I have tried to get all routes to be alongside the sea, a watercourse or in a forest or something to keep things visually interesting where possible.  Google Streetview, it's really useful...

Part 1
I have started from my house and made a wiggle towards Portsmouth and, in common with the majority of the trip, avoided major roads and motorways.  Head south from Calne to Salisbury Plain, with a little gravel road action, then on to Salisbury itself.  Quick look at Old Sarum and maybe Salisbury if time permits. Then back roads to Portsmouth. Jump on the ferry to Cherbourg.  It takes 3 hours or so to cross the channel with Brittany ferries, so that's pretty much a day done.  Crash somewhere in Cherbourg - place to be confirmed.

Part2
Wazz East round the coast via Utah Beach to Bayeux, tapestry inspection and sandwich then blat over to have a peek at Mont St Michel.  Head toward along the river valley to Virey where there is good bike friendly hotel.

Part 3
Up to Caen, then up and along the coast to Hornfleur, which is very pretty.  Ride toward Rouen along the banks of the Seine, ferry over the Seine to just outside Rouen.  I'll try and get accommodation in a place I have stayed before in a manor house, which was jolly nice indeed and quite reasonable.

Part 4
Have a quick look at Rouen and its cathedral.  Windy route after that to Le Touquet, home of the beach race.  I don't think there is any particular reason to go there, but it is kind of on the way and why not.  If possible, blast up and down on the beach...  Then wander towards Dunkirk.  On the way is a Nazi missile launching base in a forest which is probably worth a look.  Then Dunkirk and the ferry.  Either stay nearby to Dunkirk and get the ferry in the morning or get back to Blighty and find somewhere there.

Part 5
The slow wander home across Southern England stopping wherever suits.  Again I have tried to make the route in England as good as the route in France, but I am still working on this.  Home for tea and cake without the wife even noticing I was gone.

Still a lot of research and planning to go, but that is the gist of it.  Whaddya think?

John Stenhouse

John Stenhouse

Apart from Rouen cathedral, they are all places I've been to.

Nick Calne

Even the Nazi missile launching bunker? :icon_eek:

John Stenhouse

rm, no, BUT, I saw it on National Geographic, and they probably have better access  :rfl

John Stenhouse

I can take you to a Tiger tank, and a Sherman, they are a fair way apart, one is just outside Vire, and the other is West of Alencon in the forest.

Nick Calne

You know a suspicious amount about all this ww2 stuff.  I am beginning to suspect you might have a range of corresponding outfits in your wardrobe...  Have you ever been to a party with Max Mosley or Prince Harry?   :ImaPoser BTW on the proposed route we'll also be crossing Pegasus Bridge which is another ww2 thingy.

I'll know more about late August in a day or two.  Dog now booked into the kennels, just need to find somewhere for les chats, then I'm not a number, I'm a free man.  And the world will be my lobster. :wings

:__

Timbox2

A "Sherman Tank" in South London is a very different thing :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Ah yes, Pegasus bridge, I must get you and dave together he can tell you tales of Pegasus bridge. First time I dropped my VFR was there when they moved the old bridge to a field I went looking for it.

Tim, NO! I know what Sherman Tank is thank you :icon_eek:

mat-tiger1

Time off for good behavior all booked  :wings :thumbsup

Put my name on that list Nick, let's go to France! :occasion14 :icon_cool:

BTW, does anybody speak Franglais?  :m
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.