News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wherever next?

Started by mat-tiger1, July 05, 2017, 10:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I went to Northern Ireland this summer for my sister in law's wedding. It was ok, if we were going to Ireland wouldn't the west coast and the ring of kerry be a better bet? More 'adventure' type riding and all that.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

Maybe we could do this...

and those that can't spare the time could just do a bit of it?

John Stenhouse

That would be great Nick, except I'd want to take three weeks and H would do it in two days  :augie

(Ducks and runs for cover )
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 07, 2017, 12:22:37 PM
Maybe we could do this...

and those that can't spare the time could just do a bit of it?

Great route except the link via Scotland the law know when the NW is on and rub their hands with glee god knows how we never got nicked but everyone else did!! Hence why it's Fishguard or Holly head or ride at 3500 revs  :icon_lol:

Nick Calne

Well maybe John we send you ahead by a week and I bet H and Chris will catch up in due course.

We'll release the rest in batches according to pace on previous trips. Like a handicap system.

Nick Calne

Oh and Chris there is a bunch of us on steamers who normally get told to hurry up by the police and for that matter everyone else.  Tickets are not a great source of worry.  Braking, cornering and such like on the other hand....

Naming no names but it's usually threepot, jaydub and I.  John is our honorary president this year.

threepot

Speak for yourself Nick! My 'steamers' no slouch! I've had a few encounters with GS's recently :bad
I pissed off one because he couldn't overtake me! Well he did eventually,on a right hander,crossing double white lines!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Bmw drivers...typical.

And ha!  :5moped :ImaPoser

mat-tiger1

All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Chris Canning

One of the great joys when riding my S1000XR folks look in their mirrors and move out of the way it's reputation saves me a lot of hassle  :icon_biggrin:

Getting back on track if you guys do decide on the NW then i'll Put up some more info because there's some does and dont's particularly when it comes to where to park and what to see.

threepot

No offence Chris, but those BM's don't do it for me? I know they're fast,and all that,but I think the Tiger Sport's a nicer looker?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Geoff W

NW 200 is as Chris says very busy, and rightly so. When a bunch of us from my village went over, we stayed at a cheap and fairly cheerful hotel in Ballymoney, and caught the train up to watch the race. Ballymoney is handy if you are a Dunlop fan, as Joey's bar have special events on. But it books up , so plan ahead. Alternatively go to one of the lower profile races like the Cookstown 100 or Tandragee 150 ( I have not been to Tandergee, but I can vouch for Cookstown). Racing is just as full on and you are very close to the action. The Northern Ireland coast road makes for a very good days ride, Moutains of Morne, and over to Donegal all very scenic and twisty. Just expect lots of weather, lots and lots of weather. ( I got sunburnt once). :icon_cool:
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Chris Canning

Quote from: threepot on October 09, 2017, 04:49:29 PM
No offence Chris, but those BM's don't do it for me? I know they're fast,and all that,but I think the Tiger Sport's a nicer looker?

Oh blimey I think Tim's new sport is great I went to check his bike over for him but it wasn't even an option for me end of 15 begging of 16 and if Triumph produce a big bore version of this 765 thing they have on the go i'll Be interested but the X/R and big KTM's are at such a level power wise you'd be gobsmacked and I rather like being back to where I was mid eighties with my FJ1200 where you can deal with absolutely all comers cars/bikes anything you like.

I've even had a encounter with a Big Bang R1 bare in mind i'm On a big traillie and there was nothing in it and I have to say it's rather nice to sit on.

Down sides it can be a bit vibey but jeez you can be in top gear doing 25mph and open it up even two up no gear change just throttle and it's absolutely warp drive even my k1200 doesn't have the bottom end of my X/R and oh the quick shifter  :icon_lol: even steady away from the lights open the throttle at a steady opening and just click it up through the box even if i'm Only doing 40mph i'll Have put 20 yards into the rest of traffic from a standstill.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Geoff W on October 09, 2017, 10:35:00 PM
NW 200 is as Chris says very busy, and rightly so. When a bunch of us from my village went over, we stayed at a cheap and fairly cheerful hotel in Ballymoney, and caught the train up to watch the race. Ballymoney is handy if you are a Dunlop fan, as Joey's bar have special events on. But it books up , so plan ahead. Alternatively go to one of the lower profile races like the Cookstown 100 or Tandragee 150 ( I have not been to Tandergee, but I can vouch for Cookstown). Racing is just as full on and you are very close to the action. The Northern Ireland coast road makes for a very good days ride, Moutains of Morne, and over to Donegal all very scenic and twisty. Just expect lots of weather, lots and lots of weather. ( I got sunburnt once). :icon_cool:

In the end we got fed up being refugees  :icon_lol: we rent a house with our friends from Belfast in Bushmills.

And yes there's just a zillion things to do when there hence why we are going for a week next year.

blacktiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 10, 2017, 05:51:14 PM
Oh blimey I think Tim's new sport is great I went to check his bike over for him but it wasn't even an option for me end of 15 begging of 16 and if Triumph produce a big bore version of this 765 thing they have on the go i'll Be interested but the X/R and big KTM's are at such a level power wise you'd be gobsmacked and I rather like being back to where I was mid eighties with my FJ1200 where you can deal with absolutely all comers cars/bikes anything you like.

I've even had a encounter with a Big Bang R1 bare in mind i'm On a big traillie and there was nothing in it and I have to say it's rather nice to sit on.

Down sides it can be a bit vibey but jeez you can be in top gear doing 25mph and open it up even two up no gear change just throttle and it's absolutely warp drive even my k1200 doesn't have the bottom end of my X/R and oh the quick shifter  :icon_lol: even steady away from the lights open the throttle at a steady opening and just click it up through the box even if i'm Only doing 40mph i'll Have put 20 yards into the rest of traffic from a standstill.

:sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1 :sleepy1
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.