News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A Cautionary Tale

Started by SteveFord, July 06, 2017, 03:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveFord

Many years ago I read an article on motorcycle safety and they found that the majority of the accidents occurred within a few miles of the rider's home.  Some people drew the conclusion that it was because that is where the majority of the riding is done, I feel that it's because you're in familiar territory so you let your guard down.
DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN, EVER!!!

After work I put acid in a new battery for a Buell and started fooling around with fuel injection adjustments on my 2004 Triumph Sprint.  Typical motorcyclist unwind after work behavior.
Adjustments completed to my satisfaction I put on my helmet, jacket and gloves (already had boots on) and went out for the all important test ride.  The test ride is always the best part!

I live on a shaded, residential street atop a small rise in the road and the speed limit is 25 MPH.  My driveway is pretty long so I get going and pull the clutch in look ahead, all clear, look right, all clear, look left and HOLY SHIT!!! here comes an SUV doing about 40 and he's about to run me right over!
I grab the front brake and I'm on a small patch of dirt so I skid for about 3' until the front wheel hits nothing but pavement and it decides to throw itself on top of me at the end of my yard.  Luckily, my fat (but hairy) body prevented any damage to the motorcycle but my left foot and both shoulders sure took a good shot.
To his credit, the teen aged boy who was driving the SUV stopped and helped me right the bike.  Everything looked okay, I was crunched but not broken so I told him it's okay and he can go, I'll just soak everything in ice.  I was battered, he was shaken, kind of like a martini, ha, ha.
Of course, I had to complete the test ride before everything tightened up.  Yes, everything worked fine.

The moral of the story is: do not EVER assume that you're safe on a motorcycle no matter where you are or how slow you're going. 
Learn from my mistake and take the extra second to stop and be damned sure that the coast is clear.
Even at the foot of your driveway they are out to get you.

Timbox2

Yep, my last accident was outside my house waiting to turn right onto our lane, got rear ended by a 93 Year old car driver, not much I could do about that really, but in fact there is, I never approach the lane from that way anymore and go past and turn around if I have to.
2016 Tiger Sport

Nick Calne

My worse accident to date was on the street in which I have lived for 25 years or so!

Complacent behaviour played a part. I was thinking about everything else but what I was doing.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

:nod  :qgaraduate Absolutely  :thumbsup

Even when going for a longer run, you're not yet in the groove on the way out and often tired and / or cold and soaking wet thinking of that beer / brew when you get in the door.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Beernard

Everything in front/side/behind is trying to kill us. Treat them as such.
Ripper, woke up again.

SteveFord

Don't forget birdies trying to poop on you and that dangerous underground fungi stuff. 
There's no escape!