News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Overheating

Started by Boo, July 06, 2017, 11:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

After some recent nice weather, for a change, I thought it was a bit much that the Tigger was suffering just a bit with the temperature. It was not a problem, but, each time we got to a town or travelled at a slowish speed, ie 30 MPH or less, the fan would come on. Now this I can live with as we normally have crap weather in Cornwall. But, if I went to say southern Europe, Spain Italy etc, how would it behave? How do Tigger riders in hotter climates cope with this? Do you have any problems? Or do you just ignore it? :*

Timbox2

When did you last change coolant and put a new Rad Cap on?  Are you seeing any signs of bubbling in the expansion bottle?  Girlies generally run fairly cool in my experience and both mine would have to sit for quiet a while in traffic before the fan came on.
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Ask John S, I don't recall any problems travelling across Europe in up to 35°C ambient temps.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

The fan does cut in quite regularly at about 34 degrees, but it kept it in check, temp ran at a bit above the second mark and would get to just below half way in town traffic, but as Sin says wasn't a problem. Does mean the fan cut in almost every time you switch off but when it's warm that's normal
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

VABird

You may have better luck with this post in "Engine & Trans" section instead of "Girly Charging Woes".
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Chris Canning

Quote from: Timbox2 on July 07, 2017, 12:05:09 AM
When did you last change coolant and put a new Rad Cap on?  Are you seeing any signs of bubbling in the expansion bottle?  Girlies generally run fairly cool in my experience and both mine would have to sit for quiet a while in traffic before the fan came on.

+1

The only other thing that needs checking is the thermostat but on past histories of girlies my money is on the rad cap.

Timbox2

Oh yeah , and dont try saving £2 by getting a Subaru or any car type rad caps you may have heard about, Gen Triumph is the one to get
2016 Tiger Sport

Boo

Sorry I have not replied earlier, been off line for a while. Good clean coolant. genuine Triumph rad cap fitted. No idea about thermostat. It should be ok, checked it last year. Problem only arises in hot weather, not too often in the UK but Italy, Spain etc is a different thing! I was just interested to see what others have found under similar conditions. Not having anything to compare with it's difficult to say weather mine is normal or not. Just how do people manage in countries with proper climates?

Chris Canning

My 955 has 41,000 on clock the majority of which has been done travelling Europe in some pretty hot conditions at some very silly speeds and the old girl has been really good.

Had one hoo haa when stopped at a service station at the end of the Aosta valley and it spat water out of the overflow pipe onto the Tarmac took absolutely no notice as the level in the header tank was good and it has never done it since.

These bikes were built by Triumph when they hadn't got it down to an exact science  :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

Mine did several days in high temps and the fan only kicked in in town. It was fine otherwise.  As long as your rad is clean internally and the rad cap is good (you say you have a genuine Triumph one but how old is it??) you should be fine.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Boo

Seems like mine is not much different to all the others. The fan only comes on when it goes below 30 mph and when it is HOT weather. It's not a problem, I was just interested to see if mine was any different to all the others. Hopefully it will cause me no worries, certainly not in this crappy climate at the