News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger's range is awesome!

Started by VABird, July 20, 2017, 11:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VABird

So, just not used to going so far on a tank of gas. I had 260 miles and the gauge was approaching the red zone; still no fuel warning light. When I filled it, I only used 4.8 (U.S.) gallons for 54 MPG.
Wow! If I really wanted to press my luck, I could have done 325 miles and still had .3 gallons in the tank!
I love this bike!
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Tiger-G

Yep, one of the best things about the "older" Tigers are their impressive range. Mind you, you must be riding like a big girls' blouse to get figure's like that ??  :icon_wink:

Mine ranges from 35mpg to 46mpg, with an average over the year so far of 41mpg, and that's riding relatively sedately compared to how I used to ride  :icon_sad:

Nice to know you can comfortably get 200 miles out of a tank full of gas  :icon_smile:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

VABird

Quote from: Tiger-G on July 21, 2017, 11:19:29 AM
....... Mind you, you must be riding like a big girls' blouse to get figure's like that ??  :icon_wink:

Yup... that's me alright; just enjoying the sights!
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.

Tiger-G

And what beautiful sights they are  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

VABird

Another mileage update:
304 miles on the tank before the fuel light came on.
The riding was on back roads at 45-50 MPH, and 3000 RPM, with an occasional "burst" to 3500 RPM!
5.4 gallons to fill it at 310 miles = 57.4 MPG. Cool :icon_cool:
This is a peach of a motor. Very economical if ridden gently, but all the power you could ask for when needed.

Tiger-G

OMG - burst to 3,500rpm !!  I thought I felt the earth slow down for a bit in the UK   :bug_eye

I wonder if you've got a fuel saving map on it ?? I only get 44mpg when riding steadily.

And again, the older Tigers, with the large capacity tanks, are great. I only wish they'd put one on the Explorer.

Enjoy  :icon_salut:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

VABird

Quote from: Tiger-G on October 06, 2017, 08:11:18 PM
OMG - burst to 3,500rpm !!  I thought I felt the earth slow down for a bit in the UK   :bug_eye

I wonder if you've got a fuel saving map on it ?? I only get 44mpg when riding steadily.

And again, the older Tigers, with the large capacity tanks, are great. I only wish they'd put one on the Explorer.

Enjoy  :icon_salut:

Well, I was leading a group through the mountains (Blue Ridge British Bike Rally), so no showing off. I'm normally a sedate rider anyway, but more so leading a group that I then feel responsible for. I've been on too many rides where the road captain gets in a race and others overextend themselves trying to keep up.
If the power on hand is from a "fuel saving map", I'm fine with that. There's more than enough as it is. I'm used to cruisers (T-Bird) with redlines at 5500 RPM, so the 9500 RPM on tap here is just unnerving to me.

London_Phil

Quote from: VABird on October 07, 2017, 01:27:56 PM
Well, I was leading a group through the mountains (Blue Ridge British Bike Rally), so no showing off. I'm normally a sedate rider anyway, but more so leading a group that I then feel responsible for. I've been on too many rides where the road captain gets in a race and others overextend themselves trying to keep up.
If the power on hand is from a "fuel saving map", I'm fine with that. There's more than enough as it is. I'm used to cruisers (T-Bird) with redlines at 5500 RPM, so the 9500 RPM on tap here is just unnerving to me.

You try coming from a '79 Flh Shovelhead to an 800xc, via a Steamer....rev to 3000, madness.....

bigcountry

VA Bird,

What is the bike really you're referring to?  I'll be in NC 1 Nov thru 1 Apr for work.  I'm bringing my Girly and my Trophy with me.  Cheers BC
Thanks BC
2006 Tiger 955i (new to me 2017), 2014 Trophy SE

VABird

Blue Ridge British Bike Rally was Sept 22 & 23.
Put Sept 21 & 22 - 2018 on your calendar for BRBBR3
On Blue Ridge Parkway centered near milepost 86 (Bedford VA)

Linux_Tyro

I'm getting 180 miles to the fuel light on my '06  and the needle just touching the red zone. Then have gone another thirty miles from there to make the station and put in about 4.5 gal. We normally run around 80mph so taching about 5k. In tight twistys I'll tach between 5 and 7k depending on the situation.

When trying to catch up the the group after an intersection I've noticed 9k on the tach when running through the gears but I'm not glancing down for to long when doing this. My bike is low mileage and I have no doubt that it would do more without a problem. I've noticed the bike just jumps at higher RPM's and keeps pulling smoothly.

I ride with a group of old guys on C14's and FJR's who could run away from me if they wanted too but the Tiger is no slouch.

Tiger-G

Quote from: Linux_Tyro on October 26, 2017, 08:08:45 AM
I'm getting 180 miles to the fuel light on my '06  and the needle just touching the red zone. Then have gone another thirty miles from there to make the station and put in about 4.5 gal. We normally run around 80mph so taching about 5k. In tight twistys I'll tach between 5 and 7k depending on the situation.

When trying to catch up the the group after an intersection I've noticed 9k on the tach when running through the gears but I'm not glancing down for to long when doing this. My bike is low mileage and I have no doubt that it would do more without a problem. I've noticed the bike just jumps at higher RPM's and keeps pulling smoothly.

I ride with a group of old guys on C14's and FJR's who could run away from me if they wanted too but the Tiger is no slouch.

Sounds about right. The TOR map gives the Tiger a bit more low down grunt, thought about trying it ?? Feels great on my 955  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

threepot

I averaged 57mpg on my 'steamer' on my trip of 2000mIles up to Scotland for the tigertriple meet a few yrs ago. And that included some 'spirited' riding! Ask spud and peterH ;-)
95 Super111
96 Tiger