News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Engine mount bolts

Started by Sidk, July 28, 2017, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

I am putting on a set of crash bars on the Steamer, and i am having a great amount of difficulty accessing the back end of the rear engine mount bolt.
T55 torx on the outer end and 17mm on the back end. anyone have any experience with this back bolt maybe a tip or a trick. as i am having a bitch of a time supporting it so i can unscrew the engine bolt.

(ive gotten the one side on but the left side just doesnt want to let me unscrew the damn thing)

:^_^

Nick Calne

Sadly all I can say is I know what you mean. I have done this in the past but while I can recall the misery, I cant recall the methodology. I vaguely remember owning a bent 17mm spanner at one point...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sidk

After breaking 1 T55 torx bit (rather a bit than a mounting bolt mind you) and then spending half the day trying to find a shop that had them in stock and not on wait a few days we will bring one in... with a 17mm bent wrench and a bit of electrical tape to hold the bolt i managed to get everything sorted.

Mind you i have nicked scraped bruised and otherwise mangled my hands trying to get at the damn bolt and have a few choice words in regards to the person who gave the final go ahead as to the design and location of a few things on this bike. Now im contending with the other half who is moaning as there is dirt and grime under my fingernails and thats just not proper... :blah

On the bright side  I have put the beast back together, and everything works.
it started right up without any issues. the fairing and tank bolts came out and went in again without issues or spinning or any other issue.
So all is good and cheery.. except for the dirty finger nails...  :icon_rolleyes:

Sin_Tiger

Good news. A good nail brush and a few sticking platers is small collateral damage considering what could have been  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Madruss

After purchase I had a more thorough inspection & found the lower rear mounts were broken :icon_frown: So the major strip down to remove the engine was a learning curve :icon_redface: Now repaired by a "Gun" (top class in Aussie slang)alloy welder, has it ready to be re installed   :occasion14
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Sin_Tiger

See this is what I meant  :icon_lol: we need the WHOLE sordid story  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Beernard

Keep us posted Madruss.
The welding job looks real pretty.
All the best. Steamers are a good option in Oz I reckon.
Regards, Bern.
Ripper, woke up again.

Madruss

Story is in "now to put it all back together"
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!