News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake lights

Started by Sidk, August 15, 2017, 07:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

Hello all

was wondring if someone could point me in the right direction

My brake lights work intermittently
checking the bike before riding they work and when i put the bike away they might have stopped working.

I have changed bulbs.  any other suggestions at what i should look at?

JayDub

Is the problem with both front and rear brakes? if so then its probably the earth from the lamp unit... try the connectors.

Sidk

Quote from: JayDub on August 15, 2017, 08:54:45 PM
Is the problem with both front and rear brakes? if so then its probably the earth from the lamp unit... try the connectors.

Yes both front and back.
will have a look at the connectors..
just remembered.. when the front brake is deployed, you can hear a click (when the lights work) when the lights don't work there is no click.

:icon_scratch:

Sin_Tiger

Have the tail cowl off and check the state of the fuse box,  fuses and connections, don't forget the big multi connection block. Worth taking the lamp apart for a clean abs a few dabs of dielectric grease while you're in there.

The click your hearing is probably the switch on the lever, if you don't hear it then it's sticking, take if off and give it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner, don't use WD40. They do collect a fair amount of crud, wrist case is a new switch.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

1995-on bikes in the UK have a separate fuse in the loom, under the seat where the rear indicator (nearside, I think) is.
Not sure what year yours is, or if the export ones have it, but might be worth a look if fitted.

Sidk

firstly thanks everyone for their suggestions...

it turns out the assembly that held he brake lights in place was loose.

so located the bolts below the tail cowl.. luckily didn't have to take it off.. and with a couple of twists of a socket and ratchet to the 2 bolts holding the light assembly in place it tightened up nicely and now brake lights are working fine..

i'm relieved that it wasn't something more sinister ..

:thumbsup