News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Rebuild

Started by ssevy, August 28, 2017, 03:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Nice job ssevy,bike looks really nice. Strange,but since I removed the head on my Super3 to do the inlet valves,the engine seems a lot smoother,and less mechanical noise? Maybe we're reassembling them better than the factory did? :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sidk

I bask in your awesomeness!  :eusa_clap

Geoff W

First quality job and write up, well done.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

ssevy

Update:
I pulled the fairings and tank off to get to the radiator, as I wanted to check the coolant level. There was some sticky stuff on the cap, and it must have been the excess hylomar working its way up and out. Although my beads looked about like those in the two service manuals, you may want to use a bit less?
Did another 200 miles today, and it runs the best it ever has. Checked the oil, and no coolant contamination, so I think I'm good to go. Will change the oil at about 700 miles, per the machinist' advice.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

Out of curiosity,are you using a  specific oil to 'run in'?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

I use Amsoil in everything. Well over 200,000 on both cars, and it gave me the smoothest shifting feel compared to the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple I tried first.

threepot

Different oil brands here are popular,such as Castrol,Silkolene,Shell,Motul. Although I have seen Mobil,and Amsol advertised on weebay? I just thought your machinist would've recommended you run 'mineral' for the first 50-100mls to' bed' the rings?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

No he didn't. Interesting how different techniques and approaches to the same thing become traditional in a particular place? He impressed me with his knowledge, which was well-earned over many years, so I trust his judgement.
As for oil, I think brand is pretty meaningless as long as it is full synthetic. I chose mine because for my particular bike, boots and riding technique, it gave me the smoothest shifting. Certainly the others I tried would have protected the inner workings of the engine just as well, but for me personally, the shifting was not as smooth and repeatable. I also have easy access to Amsoil, so that was a factor too.