News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Opinion on leaky carbs

Started by bemusedinsojo, September 30, 2017, 10:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

My two-bits (probably what it's worth)-when I had carb leakage, and nothing stopped the leak, including new float valves, I did a Google search which led me to putting a small amount of metal polish on a qtip, then put the qtip in a drill, then polish the needle valve seat. Clean well then reinstall. My leaker was converted to a non leaker. Just in case over the coming winter someone pulls and rebuilds carbs only to have them piss gas on someone's pants.

ssevy

I was a band teacher for 32 years and when we would purchase new trumpets for the elementary schools, I would chuck a soft swab in a cordless drill, put some toothpaste on the swab and then polish the valve tubes. Worked great!
If you don't have any metal polish, try toothpaste, it will also work.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

London_Phil

For Keihins, theirs a company in the UK that produces new valve seats for them, never available as an oem part.
Bemused, one of the bike mags I left for you has an article, which shows this, on Triumph carbs, I think. Did it mention the company?, I think its the one that produces a seal kit.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: London_Phil on October 01, 2017, 10:12:50 AM
For Keihins, theirs a company in the UK that produces new valve seats for them, never available as an oem part.
Bemused, one of the bike mags I left for you has an article, which shows this, on Triumph carbs, I think. Did it mention the company?, I think its the one that produces a seal kit.
LondonPhil, it is NRP Carbs. All the good stuff is not here.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

Practical Sportsbikes October 2017 has a short article on replacing float needle valve seats.
I'm sure they are a set of CVK Keihins shown, and the original valve seat is slide hammered out, and a new one is fitted.

bemusedinsojo

Yep. It was threaded first, then slide hammered out. BTW threepot, wasn't it you who used toothpaste for polishing your Steamer head valve seats?

threepot

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on October 01, 2017, 10:51:32 PM
Yep. It was threaded first, then slide hammered out. BTW threepot, wasn't it you who used toothpaste for polishing your Steamer head valve seats?
Yeah,but I used 'smokers toothpaste'..the bike's coughing like hell since!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on October 02, 2017, 09:43:59 PM
Yeah,but I used 'smokers toothpaste'..the bike's coughing like hell since!
:rfl