News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer cutting out

Started by LeighSA, November 08, 2017, 12:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeighSA

So I got to the connector, but some fool (me) has placed the wiring all neat and tidy and now bloody awkward. That said are you guys replacing the crank sensor with OEM or ha anyone used the ones from IGNITECH ?
Certainly going make this job a LOT easier when I refit the new sensor/wiring.

Thanks again

JayDub

I've not seen Ignitech, but there are unbranded ones which are no cheaper than the OEM (GIL) maybe you could be test pilot and see if you get  more than 20-30k from them 👍

LeighSA

I'll give an IGNITECH a try and keep a spare on board.

A mate of mine has owned his Steamer since new, solo for 27km and another 60km with a sidecar, and I know the crank sensor has never been replaced.  :m

I'll keep you all posted on the progress

Mustang

Quote from: LeighSA on November 10, 2017, 10:18:04 AM
A mate of mine has owned his Steamer since new, solo for 27km and another 60km with a sidecar, and I know the crank sensor has never been replaced.  :m

I'll keep you all posted on the progress
I have 4 steamers the 95 has had the sensor replaced twice (it's got 55,000 miles)
my 98 since new has had 1 (it's got 75,000 miles)
my 98 that hauls the sidecar (bought used at 30k has 55k miles on it now , no idea if sensor ever replaced)
and a 96 with 52 k miles that has had 1 sensor .........................

so my average life for sensors is right around 59k at the moment and if you throw out the data for the pig thats never needed one the average drops to 45k

I will throw out this bit of info..................the replacements tend to last longer than the originals , even though they are all made by gill........................ :Topes.

your results may be different ...............................

Geoff W

I fitted the PVL sensor from, Triumph Accessories ( Square Deals.co.uk). It was larger than the original, although still fitted fine. That was some 15-20,000 miles ago, no problems so far. They claim that it is better than the original, it certainly looked beefier.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

LeighSA

Well all going again, pinched the crank sensor off my non going sidecar Tiger 900, am planning to do a few trips over Xmas/NewYear, so I also cleaned the carbs, replaced 3 diaphragms, needles etc. balance up. I was having trouble with over heating so I flushed out the radiator, new thermostat, hoses, new coolant, bleed and all seems great.
Biggish ride soon to see how it all pans out, just needed to do some maintenance before I get in my rides to a couple of classic bike racing meetings ( one being the Island Classic at Phillip Island, late January 2018)
Just can't bring myself to selling the Steamer

tonytiger

When draining the tank dose petrol flow freely.

LeighSA

Quote from: tonytiger on December 02, 2017, 06:12:18 PM
When draining the tank dose petrol flow freely.
Yes it does, I also put a new fuel tap as well, old one leaking

tonytiger

I only ask as I got cought out with that one, striped carbs 3 times before I tried the
petrol flow :BangHead 

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sparky on November 09, 2017, 02:59:12 AM
I carried a spare crank sensor in my tank bag which means I never had a problem if I would have left it at home then the old one would have failed.
I do the same. Keeping the tradition alive.