News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

USA ride 2018

Started by ssevy, November 20, 2017, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

They have to ride in formation. One of them will break down (not yours Phil) then they gotta all first sing the HD anthem then show off their gear,  then call a tow truck whilst speaking loudly of the superiority of the HD. My brother has a HD and says he can't make a round about with out dragging a tail pipe.

Geoff W

I was with a group of 12  riders in nice rural and hilly part of Germany. We came across group of about 100 riders, on all sorts of machines, including a bloke on an Africa Twin who rode standing up ALL the time. The stewards had tabards on with "Motorbike group do not overtake" emblazoned on them. I was at the tail of our group, and I was the only one who could read German. So we just piled on through them, as they were all doing 40mph. Boy were they unhappy! Tried to push and elbow us out of the way generally  be unpleasant as possible. We got though them and regrouped in front of them, then pissed off into the distance as fast as we could to try and give them an idea of what a motorbike is capable of doing.
Groups of more than 20 bikes are so difficult to control that you are better off dividing them up.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

ssevy

Yup, these large parades of pirates block or impede everyone on the road, generally piss off anyone who is not a motorcyclist and reinforce the notion that all bikers are a bunch of selfish douchebags.
Interestingly, I have yet to meet anyone on a Triumph or Japanese bike that has not been friendly. Beemers, on the other hand, seem to be either friendly or arrogant.
Always interesting to observe other riders at any gathering - some stereotypes are definitely not formed in a vacuum!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

blacktiger

Quote from: ssevy on January 04, 2018, 12:02:48 AM
Beemers, on the other hand, seem to be either friendly or arrogant.

Funny you should mention that. I owed an R100GS from '97 to '04. Most unreliable bike I've ever owned. When the 1150GS came out I noticed a change in owner type. With the old R80GS and R100GS they/we were always willing to get them dirty and do some dirt roads. Then you started to get the posers who were more worried about the value of their bike than using it for what it was designed to do.
And you're right. Some of them look down at you as if you can't afford what they've got. I switched to Triumph to get away from them. And to ride a more reliable bike.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Madruss

Quote from: ssevy on January 04, 2018, 12:02:48 AMYup, these large parades of pirates block or impede everyone on the road, generally piss off anyone who is not a motorcyclist and reinforce the notion that all bikers are a bunch of selfish douchebags.
Interestingly, I have yet to meet anyone on a Triumph or Japanese bike that has not been friendly. Beemers, on the other hand, seem to be either friendly or arrogant!

Years ago we used to say BMW riders would wave to other Bemm riders & occasionally wave to Ducati riders ;)
Generally, travelling in Australia once you are within 300klm of a major centre, no wave
When I started road riding in 1977 most jap bike riders waved,even in the city.
Grotty old Pommie bike riders didn't wave to anybody. There were very few Harleys on the road at all with Burling & Simmons THE Harley dealer in Sydney.
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Lee337

These days, you rarely get a nod or wave from anyone, except possibly adverture bike riders. Power rangers riding sportsbikes rarely acknowledge you.

If you ride a learner bike or scooter, expect to be ignored by everyone.

Me! I nod to practically every one, including coppers.

(I say practically as I rarely nod to Harley riders unless by accident :ImaPoser )
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Madruss

Quote from: Geoff W on January 03, 2018, 08:03:22 PMGroups of more than 20 bikes are so difficult to control that you are better off dividing them up.

I was once told, keeping a large group of motorcycles together was akin to "herding cats"  :ImaPoser
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!