News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A quick question

Started by tonytiger, November 29, 2017, 06:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonytiger

Cases split. I'll be out later with a micrometer to take mesurements. I'll also turn the head upside down, put some fuel in the valve recess for quick check on the valves.  :5moped

tonytiger

The main bearing shells look fine no scratches, but when I split the conrods wear and scratches, also I cannot see any colouron the shells ?  :5moped

threepot

What s the condition of the crank? It's a cheap replacement of the con rod bearings,but if the crank is scored??
If you have a few marks,indentations,or whatever you want to call them? You might get away with just rubbing it down with some very fine sanding paper and some oil? Worked on my 59 Buick☺
I wouldn't worry about minor indentations on a crank. It's the 'high ' spot s that cause damage,to any mating surface?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

tonytiger

Thanks Threepot, just been in the shed. The crank has very light scratches. I think Ill get away with it  :*   :5moped

tonytiger

Hello before I buy the bearing shells I thought I'd check Alterator starter clutch drive. The bolt in the right hand side of the crankcase is tight, the bolt through the left ( behind the alternator is loose and will not tighten. As if its a spindle) World Of Triumph show a through bolt?
Also the starter Idler Gears have a lot of free play. Maybe this will be taken up when the clutch assemply is in place?
Annoyingly World of Triumph don't show this. Unless I cannot see for looking.

London_Phil

There is a modded shaft with a through bolt. The orig shaft had a bolt screwed in at each end.
Funnily enough I've got a modded kit in the for sale section...Just saying....

tonytiger

I'll have a look now thanks

tonytiger

Hello Phil. can I pay through paypal.

London_Phil

tonytiger

Nothink much to report, apartfrom fitting starter clutch (thanks Phil). I've been busy with other projects.

tonytiger

New main and connecting bearings fitted cases back together. Any tips on getting the clutch basket and the big cog behind it the spline that slides though them back on. Thanks :5moped

tonytiger

Sorted engine on work bench low stool I could see what I was doing   :5moped

Beernard

Good on ya mate. You are in deep and I wish you all the best. Thanks for letting us know about your adventures.
Ripper, woke up again.

tonytiger

well engine rebuilt back in the frame, and out again (I put the chain under the rear engine mount instead of over) and back in again. Just waiting till I get a few days off in a row to get it finnished. :5moped