News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1998 Tiger Needs to be Resurected

Started by NOVA-98Tiger, December 05, 2017, 05:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

With the coils, it's not just the brand, but also the age as a factor.
I had Gill coils on my Legend and PVL coils (red bottom) on my Tiger when I bought them. Put the Nologys in both and kept the others for spares in my parts cabinet. After my buddy's coil issue last summer, he was glad I had some spares when we limped back to my house.
Others have replaced with the stick coils, but whichever way you proceed, I would get new ones and save your old ones for back-ups.
I may even start carrying one of the PVL with me as a back up on long road trips myself.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

NOVA-98Tiger

Got my #4 brass washers yesterday and was trying to figure out how to properly install them in the carbs as shims.  I know it is clear to practically anyone who has rebuilt carbs how the shims should be fitted, but I am a newbie here.  Looking at the parts schematic below, I'd appreciate it of someone could confirm if #1 around the needle is correct, or #2 position between the needle and piston spring seat.  I assume the washer goes around the pin as in #1, but I'd rather to this the right way the first time.  Thanks!
98' Tiger 885, Green

Hittman

#1 under the needle. You're trying to raise the needle very slightly to increase the amount of fuel delivered.

NOVA-98Tiger

Thanks. That is what I thought, but wanted to double check.  :icon_salut:
98' Tiger 885, Green

NOVA-98Tiger

Just received #105 Mains, #40 Pilots and copper needle shims while away on a trip this week (thank you JetsRUs).  Got to work today cleaning, and am really happy how the copper fittings cleaned up with carb cleaner.  Looking at the first picture which includes the mains and pilots, what are parts A and B called?  Part B, the bottom of which just juts into the carb venturi, was almost glued into the carb body. Between the carb cleaner and the butt end of a screwdriver inserted into the carb orifice (gentle tap tap tap), it came out.  Soaked it in carb cleaner which appears to have removed the varnish.

Other question, (see second picture) the fitting that the Main is screwed into (part A), itself screws into the carb body, but not all the way – threads still visible.  Is this correct?

Lastly, with respect to the number of turns for the pilots...  Various posters suggest 2 – 2.5 turns.  Does this mean drop the pilot into its slot, and screw them down X turns, or screw the pilot in fully, then back out X turns?  Seems the latter is the more accurate since all pilots start from exactly the same position.  Not sure what angle to view issue this from.

Trying to get this right the first time.  Hate to redo work.
98' Tiger 885, Green

threepot

Worth checking condition of plastic float bowls? Note the bend? These were from the Mikunis off my Daytona. I replaced with the white ones from a spare set of carbs i had. Read Mustangs reply on page 2 re pilot screw settings.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: threepot on February 12, 2018, 09:13:48 PM
Worth checking condition of plastic float bowls? Note the bend? These were from the Mikunis off my Daytona. I replaced with the white ones from a spare set of carbs i had. Read Mustangs reply on page 2 re pilot screw settings.
Keihins aint got that sophisticated shit in em  :mut

just a plastic float and a steel pin

threepot

Quote from: Mustang on February 13, 2018, 03:08:34 PM
Keihins aint got that sophisticated shit in em  :mut

just a plastic float and a steel pin

Is that good or bad???😕
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

From memory (I rejetted my '98 approx 3-4 years ago);

I don't know what part A is called but I remember it sticking out a little - the same as your 2nd pic.

I never removed part B as it didn't seem to want to move so I blasted it with carb cleaner whilst it was in place.

Pilots should be screwed fully in until they stop (very gently) then back them out 2-2.5 turns.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

NOVA-98Tiger

Quote from: GavD on February 13, 2018, 10:38:53 PM
From memory (I rejetted my '98 approx 3-4 years ago);

I don't know what part A is called but I remember it sticking out a little - the same as your 2nd pic.

I never removed part B as it didn't seem to want to move so I blasted it with carb cleaner whilst it was in place.

Pilots should be screwed fully in until they stop (very gently) then back them out 2-2.5 turns.

After I wrote my post and thought more about it, I realized I had in fact reassembled the mains in correct order, so QED it musta been fine as is.  Thanks for confirming how to adjust the pilots.  You da man, GavD
98' Tiger 885, Green

NOVA-98Tiger

Replaced the coolant and clutch fluids this past week, as well as double checked the coils were functioning properly - took the plugs out and verified they are sparking when the engine turns over.  Also put airbox back together - had to use Xacto knife to trim the K&N air filter that was supposed to be an exact fit, but whatever - it fits now.  Also used Demmel to clean the intake manifold on the engine block (see yellow custard crud in previous pictures), but I can't reach in all the way to get everything.  I suspect engine may run a little rough for a while until the fuel/heat eventually erodes it away.

Am going to reinstall the rebuilt carbs later this week when I have more time - new #40 main jets and #105 pilots installed, needle is shimmed with brass washer, too.  Last thing I did was disassemble pilot (idle) mixture screw and clean - what is the recommended number of turns for it when I screw them back in?  Yes, I should have made note when I took 'em aparts...  I can fine tune it later with the right angle mixture screwdriver, but would appreciate a baseline setting to get me started before I put the assembly back on the bike.

In the meantime, here is some gratuitous nudity....
98' Tiger 885, Green

threepot

You keep asking what is the setting for the idle /or pilot mix screw?!!! I have stated to read Mustangs reply on page 2,and Gav has contributed...about 2-2 1/2 turns Out from fully IN :icon_rolleyes:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

NOVA-98Tiger

Quote from: threepot on February 25, 2018, 10:47:54 PM
You keep asking what is the setting for the idle /or pilot mix screw?!!! I have stated to read Mustangs reply on page 2,and Gav has contributed...about 2-2 1/2 turns Out from fully IN :icon_rolleyes:

So, to be clear, my original question from the other page had to do with the correct settings for the Pilot JET, which is located INSIDE the float bowl.  I replaced the Pilot JET and screwed it 2 1/4 turns from seated.  That is done. Thank you to those who helpfully provided feedback.

What I was asking about on my most recent post concerns the Pilot or Idle Mixture SCREW setting, which is located OUTSIDE the float bowl, immediately adjacent to the engine.  See attached picture (its from a CVK40, but its same arrangement).  If there is some confusion over nomenclature of particular parts, or if I was unclear, thanks in advance for explaining it to me....
98' Tiger 885, Green

Mustang

There is no adjustment in the float bowl to be made
Those pilot JETS ARE LABELED WRONG

Everything in the carb should be screwed down tight

The pilot needles need to be set at 2 turns out for a baseline starting point

GavD

Quote from: NOVA-98Tiger on February 26, 2018, 04:27:38 AMI replaced the Pilot JET and screwed it 2 1/4 turns from seated.

What I was asking about on my most recent post concerns the Pilot or Idle Mixture SCREW setting, which is located OUTSIDE the float bowl, immediately adjacent to the engine.  See attached picture (its from a CVK40, but its same arrangement).  If there is some confusion over nomenclature of particular parts, or if I was unclear, thanks in advance for explaining it to me....

The Pilot Jet should be screwed all the way in until it is hand tight.

The pilot/Idle mixture screw should be screwed in fully (very gently), then turned 2 and a half turns out.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S