News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

scott oiler

Started by Bigyam, February 28, 2018, 12:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigyam

Hi all, has anyone fitted a scott oiler to the tiger 955i  ? i have on to fit but when i saw the vacuum hoses i didn't fancy trying to fit the vacuum line to it ! I am sure i read on here that you can get a special fitting with a branch pipe on it ? anyone done this ? thanks

Timbox2

I hate the things but yes, many have fitted them but be aware of 2 things.

1) The IACV pipe that you have to splice into is part of the system that controls idle so you need to do it properly (Some say that even properly done it can affect the idle and  Yes scottoiler do a special T piece)

2) Its been known for bad installations to jam the throttle open, be aware.
2016 Tiger Sport

AndyT

I agree Timbox2, I hate them and don't see the point, I carry a small 100ml can of spray chain lube when I'm going abroad and just check it daily, if it needs some I just chuck it in 1st at idle and spray a bit on,  job done  :wheel I've never needed more than that. Take the cash you would have spent and buy beer with it instead  :occasion14
If at first you don't succeed ... then skydiving is not for you :)

Chris Canning

I've used Wurth Dry lube for years and it's worked pretty well but WD Chain wax that you can still get in Aldi for 3 quid a tins takes some beating.

born to be mild

I spotted this on YouTube I had a go at it and it works a treat. All you do is press the primer button for a few seconds while you're riding along and by the way the guy is right in his video when he says that you could probably press the bulb less than he mentions at first, I think more like every 20 miles is more than enough. I tried using heat shrink to alter the O.D of the tube but it was crap so I found some plastic adaptors on ebay which did the job properly and looks vastly better. I Used cycle lamp mounting brackets to fit the button and the reservoir to the bikes bars. I reckon with the bits and bobs the lot cost about 12-15 quid at a guess.
If anyone is interested I can probably still find the various ebay/amazon links.

wyaTT37

Id love to see those links if they are handy.
Thanks to "those who we cannot mention",  Im keeping my Tigers outfitted for Mad Max world, coming to a hometown near you in short order.

aesdj

DO NOT FIT A SCOTTOILER. I had one on another bike and the pipe split causing that cylinder to run weak  and knackering the rings. Back then I did lots of miles so I didn't know until I took the tank off when it was due a service and by then the damage was done. I've fit one that runs on electric. Much better as well cause it can pump uphill so you've got more choice were to mount it. Put mine on the angled frame tube just by the side panel so nice and hidden. It's called PD Oiler.

Timbox2

Or the Turturo, totally mechanical, like Chris though I still stick to a rattle can of Wurth or WD.  The can method has the added benefit of checking your chain regularly as I found out the other day when an O ring (X ring as they call them) had split and come out of one of the links, never had it before but undetected Im sure it would have seized eventually. Another story is getting the correct chain, but I'll leave that for another time, Chris knows :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

PeteH

Wurth dry lube everytime  :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Tiger-G

Hi  :icon_biggrin:

I'm not a fan of Scott Oiler's, just don't see the point  :^_^. I've done many 6,000 mile plus trips round Europe and Scandinavia and just taken a can of chain lube, and when / if it runs out, just buy another one. I wouldn't be cutting into vacuum hoses, it's got trouble written all over it !

Good luck with your choices though and let us know how you get on  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Well, im gonna eat my hat, sorry Chris, Im a traitor. Ive been fairly anti scottoiler for years, tried it on one bike years ago and wasnt impressed. But things change, as do opinions and bikes.
I got caught in a ton of rain the other day and within a few miles I could hear the chain stripped of its lube. I hadnt packed a tin with me so found a bike shop in Gloucester to go get some and on the shelf they also had the aforementioned TuToRo oilers. Ive just put a new DID chain and sprockets on the KTM aswell as a new swingarm rubbing strip which on the KTM's are also a fairly consumable item and not only do oilers give better chain life but also extend the life of the swingarm strip, which is a bugger to replace. Im also planning a  fairly long distance Summer trip so what the hell, I coughed up and went on my way to the Forest of Dean. It then dawned on me that TuToRo are just down the road in Lydney so popped in to get any tips.  I was greeted with open arms by Mr TuToRo (Nick) and his wife(I think ) and Nick proceeded to give me a tour of his little factory and history of his Oiler which he designed for his own bike at the time because he didnt like the current offerings. I just love being able to support small UK manufacturing too.

Nick on left, part of the assembly line on right, behind me are a bank of milling machines, lathes, CNC machine etc

Few hours later, actual install was about 1.5 hours and easy with no worrying about electrical or vacuum connections

Not ridden with it yet, should get out over the weekend hopefully and I'll report back

2016 Tiger Sport

wyaTT37

I have 2 thumbs up for Turtoro oilers for all the same reasons that this poster stated. And yes, I know its an ancient thread, but I thought it relevant and should be bumped.
Thanks to "those who we cannot mention",  Im keeping my Tigers outfitted for Mad Max world, coming to a hometown near you in short order.

RichardP

Just looked at the Turoro website looks interesting but where would you mount the oil reservoir, there doesn't appear to be a place without it being exposed?
2005 Tiger 955i
1978 Honda CBXz1000, 1976 Laverda 1000 3CL