News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brake partially seized

Started by pxm, April 06, 2018, 01:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

A little piece of info I gleaned.
Any petroleum derived grease must not be used on any 'rubber' part of the braking system. It erodes the integrity of the parts to the point they will not seal correctly allowing brakes to bind. Found this out with the TEX and after a discussion with Triumph found ONLY use silicone grease on these parts. Cured the problem. It seems to cure the corrosion in the seal groove in the caliper which tightens the seal grip on the piston and the slider rubbers do not deform, allowing them to operate as they should.
Particularly interesting for the pre-Brembo equipped bikes.
Copper grease should only be used on the pads.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Tiger-G

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted   :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

London_Phil

I've started to use Ceramic grease, such as Pagid Cera Tec from Eurocarparts for lubricating the moving parts, and pad backs.

"Pagid Cera Tec  is a specially formulated Brake lubricant for assembly of pads, calipers, discs and wheels bolts.
0% Copper content ensure no interferance with ABS sensors
Non Stick compound wont pick up dirt"

I think its the modern alternative to Copper grease, as its not metal based, and is not a problem for ABS.

For the actual caliper assy's themselves, good old RR grease is my fav.

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/tips-how-to-brake-caliper-failure-repair-with-rebuild-kit.html