News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork help

Started by bunker, April 09, 2018, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunker

Things are going well - mostly!

Head bearings done, carbs stripped down and cleaned and reinstalled into new air box  :thumbsup

Forks rebuilt.......got the bike off the hoist and whats that dripping down the fork leg onto the floor?

:BangHead :5huh :5huh

Its an early VIN so i put in oil up to 130mm from the top of the stancheon, but that seems to be where the oil is coming from.
The inside of the leg is stamped T409 - it isn't a later model fork is it? (which needs less oil and would explain the leaking i suppose)
Tiger 885

JayDub

With the drain screw (if fitted) and the top cap tight, the only way the oil could escape is from the fork seals.  :icon_scratch:
Also, the level of 130mm is measured with the leg fully compressed, and without the spring... but you knew that?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

bunker

Aye, I had the spring out when I filled it up. I'm beginning to suspect the seal but it was OEM so I'm hoping it was right. The forks are back off and I'm pumping them ( :mut) but there aint nothing coming out.
Tiger 885

threepot

About 400ml per fork??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bunker

Quote from: threepot on April 10, 2018, 11:24:54 PM
About 400ml per fork??
no it was more than that, 130mm from the top of the fully compressed stanchions was the best part of 2 bottles of oil so i'd reckon 900ml odds.
Tiger 885

JayDub

Mine took about 460ml each leg too (at 130mm).
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

bunker

Quote from: JayDub on April 11, 2018, 01:45:51 PM
Mine took about 460ml each leg too (at 130mm).
130mm below the top of the stanchions or 130mm above the top of the damper?
I took it to be measured from the top down
Tiger 885