News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

random function of indicators

Started by ChillMan, April 22, 2018, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillMan

Hello friends,

Last year my Tiger 2001 started getting a random issue with the left/right indicators. Some days it worked perfectly, other days, not at all, and some days a mix. I suspect there's a pattern:
a) dry weather = rare problems
b) humid weather = more problems
Most likely suspect would be a poor connection somewhere.

When it is not working, there is no ticking sound, no flashing of the front or back indicators, and the light on the panel is off. Everything else on the bike, as far as I can tell, works the same.

When it is working, it all works perfectly.

Last year, the bike was in a workshop. I asked them to fix the indicator too. They did SOMETHING because the switch on the steering for lights worked much better after the workshop (little red one no longer gets stuck inside, etc).

But they didn't actually fix the indicator issue. It's still the same. (The workshop was really REALLY slow so I rather fix it myself than bring it back there.)

Today it is a dry sunny day, so I went outside to the bike and opened the fuse box and took out each of the 12 fuses, cleaned with a dry cloth and put back. Only one or two had some slight dirt, but I very much doubt it was that...

There is a wire going between the light switch and the panel. It has a connector on it. It sits relatively exposed to the weather.

Any ideas?

JayDub

I'd be looking at the switch contacts, clean, lightly abrade then coat with dielectric grease.  Then work on the connection plugs before and after the switch (from the ignition switch) and also the flasher relay... If there was a fault after the flasher, relay the problem would just affect either left or right signals.

ChillMan

Today everything worked fine, I took a nice medium trip. We'll see another day when it's more humid...

Thank you JayDub, I didn't actually find two connection plugs, only one. I'll look for the other again tomorrow! Can I just turn off the ignition, and unplug the connectors to look, without any risks?

I am not sure what you meant about the ignition switch, by the way.

I also don't understand your last sentence. I thought the flasher relay sends the on/off signal constantly on ONE wire to the switch, which then divides it up into TWO wires, left and right? Meaning, that the issue most likely is not after the _switch_.

Thanks!

JayDub

Sorry, I was thinking backwards, you're right about the fault being after the relay  :cp
I meant the connection from the ignition switch to the indicator circuit - what I'm getting at is, the problem is with both indicators, so that makes it a bit easier to locate.
If you have the ignition on, moving the connections may show the fault.
It does sound like dirty switch contacts though... The workshop may have just sprayed WD40 etc on the switch, which probably wouldn't get to the contacts.

ChillMan

OK good :-)

Sure, the workshop probably cheated with the switch cleaning. I fear opening it up though.. I see before me tiny little metal springs etc that will jump all over the place, and then I'll never be able to put them back again.

You are right, if it's the connector, wiggling it should help to locate the problem. Why did Triumph put the connectors out in the rain and wind without a proper seal? Seems like asking for trouble... or perhaps everyone but me understand to at regular intervals take certain things apart to clean and grease them... On the image below, it looks like there is one large and one small connector. Are those the two you mentioned?

JayDub

Could be worse... You could have bought Italian  :icon_eek:
I'm not familiar with your model, but the principal is the same regarding most bikes, I'm sure there must be someone on the forum who's dissected one.  Checking/cleaning/greasing all connections is a job worth doing anyway.

ChillMan

I just googled dielectric grease to find where I can buy it, and I found this fascinating part:

Dielectric grease is electrically insulating...

It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life

on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease#Dielectric_grease