News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New 05 tiger owner, school me.

Started by Appalachian, April 30, 2018, 07:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachian

Just bought a really clean 05 tiger and have read about a handfull of potential issues they have, if you would give the good bad and ugly of what need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Canning

Sorry to disappoint but apart from the Reg/Rec that can have its moments and setting the chain tension is an acquired knack particularly two up that really is about it.

You will see posts about fuel connectors but that is the earlier bikes not yours.

Oh and radiator caps give the odd problem and so long as you buy OE you'll be fine and read on here about filling the rad.

Appalachian

AHHH!  cool, Ive read plaenty of post about R/R problems,stators being replaced or upgraded (I do intend on research the sasquatch mods) , gas in the motor oil and hot clutches, had me concerned as to what I had ahead of me.

On the other hand have read post with bikes in the 70,000 mile area and no problems, just routine maintenance, good stuff :wings.

Tiger-G

Hi, and welcome  :icon_smile:

I agree with Chris, the bike doesn't really have any quirks, it's a genuinely solid bike.

As I mentioned on the RAT forum where you posted:

For smoother gear changes make sure your clutch cable and chain tension are spot on. Remember that when checking chain tension, you want about 40 - 50mm of free play. Make sure you check for tight spots when rotating the rear wheel, and adjust there. And you need someone sat on the bike with their full weight when doing a final tension check, because all the slack you had while doing it on the centre stand, will be taken up by the long travel suspension with the extra weight on it.

Has it got the twin headlight conversion ?? If not, get it, the headlights are like two candles.

Check the shims are all within tolerance if you don't know the bike's history.

Get a tall screen on it, because if it's stock you're within one month of having to have major brain surgery with the constant wind buffeting.

And I think that's about it from me. Enjoy the bike and keep us posted as to how you're getting on  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

VABird

As stated above, the charging system is a weak spot. If it's stock and especially if it's original, spend a couple hundred and replace it, because it will sooner or later cause you grief. There are several write ups here regarding it. The bike is tall and top heavy, but not so bad if you're a match for it.
I have 2 other bikes (T-Bird & Speedmaster), but my 955i is my "go to" for errands and shorter ride-outs and even some all day rides when I'm solo. It's very capable and if ridden gently, a 300 mile range to the low fuel warning is doable.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Appalachian

Later on I do plan on looking into replacing the staor or doing the Saquatch mod if I can find pics of the process, the winshield is a cee baily, dont think its factory, but it seems to work for me but Im ignorant to them, its my first bike with a wind shield so...

Timbox2

The reg/rec & stator isnt a given that it will fail. I sold my 05 Tiger with 50k miles and zero charging issues, although its not the best system keeping all the multi-plugs and contacts in top condition helps.

Another one is if the bike is fitted with the Triumph Datatool Alarm/Immobiliser,  I would get rid of it before it strands you one day
2016 Tiger Sport