News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hardware sizes

Started by wwmorty, May 04, 2018, 01:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwmorty

Has anyone made a list of all the sizes for Allen wrenches, sockets and screw types for disassembly of parts of the bike?  The service manual shows what comes apart but not what size tool to use. I know that each year may be slightly different and maybe some people may have changed some hardware but the factory sizes should be all the same. Thanks.

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Hi.

Welcome to the forum  :icon_biggrin:

You can get most of the allen head bolts off with what's in the tool kit, and it's just a case of knowing what size sockets you need for the front and rear wheels. Everything else is just standard size sockets, etc.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

wwmorty

Thanks, my tool kit isn't the best assortment of tools. As I figure out what I need I'll add the necessary tools for common maintenance. I've noticed that there is a variety of Allen , torx, bolts and screws to take things apart. I would have thought that Triumph would have anticipated people actually using these bikes on fairly remote trips and kept the hardware sizes consistent to minimize amount of tools to lug around along with camping gear.

CaptureTheBeer

G'day

First I'll caveat that this is all from memory whilst in a taxi on the way to the airport.  I've pulled most things apart in the bike within the past 4 months save splitting the block or removing the head.

Torx Bits
T25, T35, T45, T55 (Engine mounts)

Hex
M4, M5, M6, M8, M10, M12 (for the eccentric adjuster)

Sockets
10mm, 12mm, 15mm, 18mm(spark plug), 19mm and 24mm (axle nuts), 36mm front sprocket.

Screwdrivers
Ph2 and a flat bladed.

Specialty tools
Get mustangs shim tool or find someone local with it, it's awesome.

Random useful stuff
A bronze drift
A pick or scribing tool
Feeler gauges
Verniers
Dielectric grease
Torque wrench
Haynes book of lies

As always YMMV

Cheers Dan

wwmorty

Good stuff, I plan on trying to change hardware to be consistent. I find it frustrating to use two different size and different tools to take 1 fixture off, ie, the chain guard requires a torx and Allen different sizes.