News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bubbling stripes

Started by pxm, May 14, 2018, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxm

Does anyone know what I can do about a couple of tank stripes that keep bubbling?
I've heard it's fuel related but nothing but air comes out when I "bleed" them.  They come back fairly quickly.
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

Chris Canning

Don't suppose you mean't the post to be funny  :icon_biggrin: but the reality is you can do nothing it's the tank breathing through its plastic they all do it and mine has lasted longer than most,put a bagster cover on it out of sight out of mind  :icon_lol:

Timbox2

And weirdly, neither of mine suffered??
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Timbox2 on May 14, 2018, 08:04:15 PM
And weirdly, neither of mine suffered??

Nor mine

Go for the Bagster Chris mentioned above, they are colour matched to the bike so don't look out of place and arnt too expensive, certainly less than respraying.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/202303728492?clk_rvr_id=1531352194721&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=202303728492&rmvSB=true
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Fentible

You can still buy (or could last time I looked) the individual stripes from triumph. Only 1 of my stripes is affected by bubbling. I just keep popping them and flattening them down but will probably buy the relevant stripe and have the tank re-lacquered at some point.

Appalachian

So far only 1 on mine has started to blister, I have a suzuki dr 650 and it came factory with the steel fuel tank, from what Ive read about the after market tanks made from plastic they do let fuel vapors weep thru and decals will start to blister from and peel because of the vapors, I dont see how it does but this is what Ive read from the DR forums.

Timbox2

Think I once read that keeping the fuel tank full helps and that long periods of storage with little fuel is the worse
2016 Tiger Sport

AndyT

mine does it on both sides, I started off popping them with a needle and pushing the air out flatening them down but they come back as quickly as I can pop them, I've given up now and try to ignore them, I'm not happy though, they do look ugly! If anyone has fixed this permanently I'd be pleased to hear otherwise it'll be tank bag time although I hate the look of them almost as much!
If at first you don't succeed ... then skydiving is not for you :)

Mustang

Quote from: Appalachian on May 25, 2018, 06:24:17 AM
So far only 1 on mine has started to blister, I have a suzuki dr 650 and it came factory with the steel fuel tank, from what Ive read about the after market tanks made from plastic they do let fuel vapors weep thru and decals will start to blister from and peel because of the vapors, I dont see how it does but this is what Ive read from the DR forums.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING.

Yamaha tt250's do itSuzuki do it
Tigers do it..

It is what happens when you put gas in plastic

Appalachian

Was poking around on Fleabay last night and sound a complete set of decals and quite a few just tiger stripes alone, just serched for decals 05 tiger and they pulled up, if mine peels Im not replacing them, may do the bike up in a nice shade of camo, its a sickness.

ChillMan

Nice find! If I ever decide to repaint the whole tank, I'll get those decals.

Could I use a "touch up paint pen" for cars? I could cut off the broken parts and just paint in the area? I never did anything similar to I don't know how it would look after.