News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas tank sealer advice needed

Started by tri650, May 24, 2018, 01:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tri650

I decided to paint the tank on my 2000 885i - decals were bubbling and I had some black to do anyway.

I read about Caswell gas tank sealer and have a kit on the way.

This may sound obvious, but should I disassemble the fuel pump and filter assembly, and basically get it down to the tank only.  Obviously don't want that goo plugging up any lines, but has anyone gone through this process?

Chris Canning

You will certainly be the trail blazer putting sealer in a plastic tank that has a habit of moving!!! But if you do i'd Certainly take all the internals out.

London_Phil

I did it years ago with a HD metal tank, but the basic operation is similar.
Remove EVERYTHING.
Follow instructions as closely as possible, and don't rush...

tri650

That is what i figured.  Everything must come out.

Chris Canning

Quote from: London_Phil on May 24, 2018, 12:17:41 PM
I did it years ago with a HD metal tank, but the basic operation is similar.
Remove EVERYTHING.
Follow instructions as closely as possible, and don't rush...

I've done it with a metal tank(pet seal) but plastic  :icon_eek:

London_Phil

Caswell specifically mention their product works with plastic tanks, only the removal product for any old coatings is not recommended for plastic tanks

Chris Canning

And loads of ethanol that the American use? There's been enough hassle over there with plastic tanks already.