News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

P0118 fault code. Situation rectified with smoother running

Started by Fentible, May 24, 2018, 09:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fentible

I have occasionally gotten a mil light generating this code when starting after a few weeks lay up, I usually just clear the code and that is it.
I put my Tiger back on the road a few weeks ago and as usual, hit the starter, mil light, code cleared carry on as normal. Except now its becoming more persistant , every couple of days. Ive checked the connector to the coolant temp sensor and also measured the resistance which shows as 2.8 (insert appropriate unit of measure here) which seems within spec at normal air temp.

As a precaution I bought a new sensor (shade under £40 delivered from WOT) but it measures the same resistance as the old one. Neither are generating a P0118 fault code when I connect to TuneECU and just switch the ignition on. I haven't yet tried hitting the starter with the tank disconnected.

At first startup (after layup) the starter does sound a bit lazy, however its fine in regular use. Im now wondering if its possibly a deteriorating battery that could be causing a spike through the ECU when I hit the starter button, triggering the fault code. Ive just measured the voltage across the terminals, as the battery is off the bike which hasn't been used for a few days and it's showing 13.03 volts (?) so the battery does seem okay and I don't want to splash out needlessly.

I will connect everything up and see how I get on with the new sensor fitted, just looking for some up front advice.

Just for note electrics aren't my strong suite.

Edit. New coolant sensor arrived from WOT after some confusion about the part number. The arriving new part looked nothing like the old part, however a quick phone call to WOT determined that the push in housing with the O ring is a removable assembly and has to be removed from the old sensor and re-attached to the new part for it to fit.
Got to say it has transformed my bike which is much smoother now throughout the rev range, clearly the old sensor has been sending duff signals to the ECU.

oakey134

Seems I got this code last night, cleared it but then it came back on again. Not sure what the problem is yet but I did notice when I shut the bike off the fan wasn't running. Although, the light came on when I was riding so the fan would not of been on then anyway. Going to flush the coolant tonight and see what happens then. Maybe a sensor but not sure.

Fentible

I started getting an occasional mil light about 8 months ago, always P0118 which I cleared and it would be fine for weeks. But last month mil light and fault code every time I started it up and sometimes the fan would kick in with the start up. New sensor from World of Triumph resolved it.

oakey134

:new_popcornsmiley
Just ordered a new coolant sensor and rad cap. Hopefully it makes a difference and the fault clears.