News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Duff battery after two years ??

Started by Tiger-G, July 27, 2018, 06:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Thanks Chris, that was what I was thinking  :icon_frown:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 09, 2018, 05:51:26 PM
I've seen worse but your readings are low your a volt short.

My thoughts too
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Trying to kill two birds with one stone with the other post about wiring and how the bike runs,i've had a complicated run with my 955 since last year,fitting a lithium with a Reg/Rec that didn't like it and both the reg/rec and the battery were kaput,then a new battery and reg/rec on but the reg/rec was wrong and fried itself and was sent a replacement but in the mean time fitted an old original re/rec

And there's no doubt when the electrics are as they should be the bike is a whole lot happier by some margin certainly when it comes to the running of the engine the voltage only has to be a tad down you can notice it.

Tiger-G

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 09, 2018, 07:50:28 PM
Trying to kill two birds with one stone with the other post about wiring and how the bike runs,i've had a complicated run with my 955 since last year,fitting a lithium with a Reg/Rec that didn't like it and both the reg/rec and the battery were kaput,then a new battery and reg/rec on but the reg/rec was wrong and fried itself and was sent a replacement but in the mean time fitted an old original re/rec

And there's no doubt when the electrics are as they should be the bike is a whole lot happier by some margin certainly when it comes to the running of the engine the voltage only has to be a tad down you can notice it.

Bloody hell, and I thought I had problems !!   :icon_sad:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

One of the great joys of multibike ownership just ride something else while i'm Sorting it and while mine is some distance from a stock 955 it's going better than it's ever done god knows how it's never gone bang  :icon_eek:

Tiger-G

Had time to give my stator a good check over yesterday.

Ground test ok.
Resistance test - .3ohms on all three connections.
AC voltage output test on all three connections:
tickover: 25V
2,000revs: 32V
3,000revs: 46V
4,000revs: 61V
5,000revs: 74V

I've decided the stator is ok, and have ordered a SH847 to see if I can find the extra volt and a half I need. Looking at the Triumph plug 'n play lead (T2500676) in the UK, it's quite expensive compared to the States ($10). It's looking like £20 plus postage.

Anyone know where I can find it cheaper in the UK ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Okayyy....quick update....

I got my new SH847 on the bike today, and wired it through the Triumph link lead (T2500676).

On start up, the bike showed a steady 13.8V from tickover right through the rev range. However, as the engine got up to operating temp, the voltage dropped to 12.9V on tickover ??  With a few revs on though, it went back up to 13.8V and stayed there throughout the rev range ??

So I "think" I'm happy with the way things are. I must admit, I was expecting 14V plus. I got some spare connectors with the rectifier so might try wiring them directly to the battery to see if that makes the difference ??

As a side note for anyone thinking of getting the SH847. It fits directly in the same bolt holes as the original rectifier, no need to make brackets, or drill the frame.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Quick experiment to test the theory.....

I disconnected the output connector from the rectifier and wired a couple of leads directly from it to the battery. I got 14.2 volts on tickover, and 14.1 volts throughout the rest of the rev range.

So my next question.......is it worth doing the Sasquatch mod properly just to gain .4V ?? :icon_scratch:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tiger-G

Quote from: HockleyBoy on August 20, 2018, 09:52:38 AM
In short no

Hmmm ?? Too late, I've got some 10AWG wire on order for the mod  :icon_wink:. Just want to see if it makes a difference. It's relatively inexpensive to do the mod, so worth a try to see if I can get in the magical 14V's   :icon_wink:

Just trying to source a suitable maxi fuse holder with 10AWG wire, but struggling in the UK. I can get one, but it will have to come from China, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of buying from there as I don't trust the quality.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

HockleyBoy

If its working and you are already getting 14v I wouldn't mess with it. Lots of people have been let down my the mod (myself included) for various reasons but mostly poor quality or inadequate maxi fuse holders or connections.

The Triumph connector you have used is their upgraded wiring and is much better than the original RegRec connectors. As long as you keep an eye on the connector (dieletric grease now and then) to the stator and make sure there is no corrosion it should be reliable.

That said, if you want to give the mod a go, do it as its easily reversible but make sure everything you use is up to the job and that your soldering skills are good or you risk saying goodbye to an expensive RegReg or stator.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Just for the record this is what Electrex sent me complete with stock Sasq mod.

HockleyBoy

Nice, good to see a supplier listening to their customers and actually trying to solve problems rather than just copying the OEM equipment.

Tiger-G

Quote from: HockleyBoy on August 20, 2018, 12:04:13 PM
If its working and you are already getting 14v I wouldn't mess with it. Lots of people have been let down my the mod (myself included) for various reasons but mostly poor quality or inadequate maxi fuse holders or connections.

The Triumph connector you have used is their upgraded wiring and is much better than the original RegRec connectors. As long as you keep an eye on the connector (dieletric grease now and then) to the stator and make sure there is no corrosion it should be reliable.

That said, if you want to give the mod a go, do it as its easily reversible but make sure everything you use is up to the job and that your soldering skills are good or you risk saying goodbye to an expensive RegReg or stator.

Thanks the advice, but everything's ordered, just waiting delivery.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 20, 2018, 04:58:50 PM
Just for the record this is what Electrex sent me complete with stock Sasq mod.

Yep, agreed, good to see suppliers listening to what we actually need  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.