News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie with questions

Started by dougahole, July 08, 2005, 04:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougahole

Howdy all! I'm selling my sportbike and getting back into the dual sport world and am concidering a late model tiger. I've had thumpers in the past which included an 01 KTM 640 Adventure, 02 BMW f650 Dakar, 96 kawasaki KLX650 and a 91 yamaha XT600. I'm used to heavy dual sports but never tangled with a tiger in the dirt. I test road one 2 years ago on the street and almost bought it "almost". I'm not to concerned about it's off road ability,I expect it's limits to be dirt and, or fire roads. My main concern is vibes and comfort for long highway jaunts that were crippling on my thumpers. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks!

bwvtom

Hi, if your after a distance machine your on the right track with the Tiger, 1000 km days are no problem either tar or dirt.  Plenty of smooth effortless power from low in the rev range makes it very predictable off road.

I have a 2001  955i and have been very happy with it, even using it for day to day commuting, it just seems happy to do anything itÌs asked to do.

The best thing is it leaves a big smile on your dial after any ride short or long.

You wonÌt be sorry.

Cheers B-burl.

Adelaide South OZ
B-burl

holland1

Agree with that. I use my '02 tiger955i only for road use and thus mounted  street tires. Last weekend took it to schotland and covered 2200km no motorways and had great fun!

overtook some sportsbikes on the way..... :wink:

no muscle pain, sore ass, technical problems whatsoever......  only a big smile! :D

gas is alles

Dick Boyer

jp4evr

Just got back from Arizona and did 400-700 mile days with only one hotspot from a tear in my seat.  

No vibes, just comfortable cruising at 80/90 and carving all the canyons I could.  

On top of that I averaged 50 mpg
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

dougahole

Thanks for the input guys. The Tiger sounds like the perfect bike for me. I like the looks of the KTM 950 but it's a little over priced, hard to find a used one, and the seat is a little too narrow for the long haul. My Kawasaki ZZR1200 is up for sale and I will be looking for a Tiger as soon as Kawi sells. Can't wait but I guess I have to :cry:

bwvtom

The KTM 950 is a nice bike, excellent off road.

But the Tiger better to live with day to day.

B-Burl.
B-burl

TigerPilot

Quote from: "dougahole"Howdy all! I'm selling my sportbike and getting back into the dual sport world and am concidering a late model tiger. I've had thumpers in the past which included an 01 KTM 640 Adventure, 02 BMW f650 Dakar, 96 kawasaki KLX650 and a 91 yamaha XT600. I'm used to heavy dual sports but never tangled with a tiger in the dirt. I test road one 2 years ago on the street and almost bought it "almost". I'm not to concerned about it's off road ability,I expect it's limits to be dirt and, or fire roads. My main concern is vibes and comfort for long highway jaunts that were crippling on my thumpers. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks!

Hi Dougahole,

Had most of the bikes you mentioned above plus others. I will tell you that from a fun factor the Tiger is lightyears away from everything else; yes even my BMWs.

From your concerns/expectactions/price mentioned above I can't think of NO better bike for you than the Tiger. There is NO vibration at all!! the thing is smooth as it gets, tons of power and VERY confortable- even for LOOOOONG rides. So you are definately on the right track!

I will caution you on a used one. As with anything used, just go over it with a fine tooth comb so you don't get bitten in the ass for expensive repairs.

Good Luck!! you'll definately be happy with the Tiger.
Work Hard; Play Harder !!!

05 Suzuki SV1000

04 BMW K1200 GT

04 Kawasaki KLR 650

02 Triumph Tiger