News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tires

Started by ssevy, August 29, 2018, 03:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

The last two sets of Shinko 705's have shown more cupping on the front than in the past, but both of these were ridden hard on lots of long distance trips with a pretty fair load on board between my 245 pounds and all of my gear. I just finished a pretty long trip out to the midwest and back, doing the last 819 miles in one long day of nineteen hours on the slab to beat the awful weather that was just behind me. Needless to say, the rear Shinko is pretty flat in the center, and the front sends alot of vibrations through the bars as the cupping is getting pretty bad. So I think I will install some new tires to get me through the rest of my riding season, as I have a long two week trip down to Georgia planned in a few weeks and the rest of the beautiful autumn riding that we have here to enjoy.
Since I spend most of my time on the blacktop, I am thinking about trying some of the Pilot Road Trail tires, as they are on closeout everywhere because they were discontinued. The Pirelli Angels are also on pretty good sales right now, and they also might be an option.
My question is this:  will the smoother tread of these sport touring style tires still give me cupping? Longevity is supposed to be good, and I am thinking a much smoother overall ride might be nice. The problem, of course, is that you can almost buy two sets of the 705's for what one set of either of these costs! I have some cash on hand from several jazz gigs I have played lately, so if I am going to experiment, this is the time to do it.
What say you all (Mustang, I can already guess your answer :icon_wink:)
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ssevy

I just got down to business comparing prices of the tires I was considering.

Pilot Road 4 Trail would be 408.81 front and back :icon_eek:
Pirelli Angel GT would be 356.26 front and back  :icon_eek:
The good old Shinko 705 is 176.52 front and back  :thumbsup

The Pirellis would have to give me twice the mileage for me to break even, and the Michelins would have to do even better. Not likely I guess, so I'll live with some vibration from the more aggressive tread pattern and call it a day. (That also leaves me more money for pie on my road trips :icon_biggrin:)

Mustang

Shinko's for the win .

I guarantee no matter what tire you put on front it will cup ...

It's a steamer. . :bad
And the shinkos will last just as long or longer than the others . And the other expensive tires aren't going to feel any better than the shinkos
It's a steamer ....... :nono

ssevy

Hah Mustang,
I could have written that one for you!
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the cupping. New rear Shinzo is on the way.