News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Duff stator.

Started by Tiger-G, September 18, 2018, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Hi All  :icon_biggrin:

After recently upgrading my rectifier to a SH847, my stator has decided to give up the ghost too  :icon_sad:

For me, it's a bit too much of a coincidence that the stator packs in a few hundred miles after putting the new rectifier on ?? I thought the SH847's were supposed to be sympathetic to stators ??

I've got a new stator (£154) on order from Rick's Motorsport UK distributer, as they are supposed to be the most reliable aftermarket ones. Will keep you posted as to how I get on  :icon_wink:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

HockleyBoy

They often seem to go about the same time, stator and rectifier. The weak one puts the other under strain. My guess is that your stator was probably on the way out before your regrec went south.

On the Brightside, once you have changed both you should be good for quite a while although I have come to regard RegRecs and stators as service items!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tiger-G

Yes, agreed. 12 years out of the old one isn't too bad. Got the new one on today and gave it a quick test in the rain - 14.3 volts on tickover and throughout the rev range.  :icon_biggrin:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

wimj

Quote from: HockleyBoy on September 19, 2018, 03:34:58 PM
.... you should be good for quite a while although I have come to regard RegRecs and stators as service items!

So how many times in how many miles/km did you change these items? Should I have them replaced at every or every other service?

I find it weird to consider stators as a service item, on my high-mileage Honda's never had to replace them (or the regrecs for that matter).

Are better (non-Triumph) stators available?

Thanks for replying, Wim
Riding Any Road

HockleyBoy

When I say service parts, I am partly joking. However I own 2 955i Tigers, have covered a little under 200k miles on them and in that time I would say I have replaced the stator around 5 times (including this weekend!) and the regrecs a couple of times more (again including this weekend).

I don't (and wouldn't) actually change the parts when servicing, only when they have failed. What I would do is fit a volt meter and keep an eye on the charging system as it can leave you stranded. Regular checking/maintenance of the connections is essential as bad connections lead to burn out of the major parts. You may of course be one of the lucky ones, I am sure there are plenty of Tiger riders who have never had an issue.

There is loads on this site about this issue and different types of replacement stator and regrec and of course the Sasquatch mod to the wiring.

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tiger-G

My rectifier and stator lasted 51,000 miles. I had a voltmeter fitted to the bike, and it was it's first outing. When the volts dropped to under 12, I thought "bloody cheap Chinese voltmeter", but in fact it had done it's job and told me the stator was fecked  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

wimj

Quote from: Tiger-G on September 24, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
My rectifier and stator lasted 51,000 miles. I had a voltmeter fitted to the bike, and it was it's first outing. When the volts dropped to under 12, I thought "bloody cheap Chinese voltmeter", but in fact it had done it's job and told me the stator was fecked  :icon_wink:

A voltmeter is what I'm going to install then.

However after the failure in Portugal (16000 miles on the clock) I have serious doubts about taking the bike out on long trips, and long roadtrips is what I bought it for in the 1st place! Or should I bring a stator and regrec and tools and a manual with me on those trips?? I'm not much of a techie so perhaps should keep using my old Honda for those trips. Disappointment, misery...  :icon_frown:
Riding Any Road

Tiger-G

Ha, I wouldn't take many things on a long trip, it would only be some chain lube, a spare set of brake pads, a bulb kit, etc.

Having said that, I do have a tool box and a tool tube on the bike when riding in the UK, as well as a few goodies under the seat. It's got a full worthwhile toolkit in the tool tube, a tyre compressor, chain lube and various other tools in the box, and under the seat there's a puncture repair kit and a couple of load spreaders for the centre stand:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: wimj on September 25, 2018, 10:19:15 AM
A voltmeter is what I'm going to install then.

However after the failure in Portugal (16000 miles on the clock) I have serious doubts about taking the bike out on long trips, and long roadtrips is what I bought it for in the 1st place! Or should I bring a stator and regrec and tools and a manual with me on those trips?? I'm not much of a techie so perhaps should keep using my old Honda for those trips. Disappointment, misery...  :icon_frown:

Don't be put off by this, you have bought the right bike for long trips. This sort of info is useful to know but shouldn't stop you using your bike. Triumph Tigers are generally very reliable bikes. I (and many others on this site) have done plenty of long road trips across the uk and Europe on Tigers and they have never let me down on any of them.

Like any bike you just need to keep the maintenance up to date and take sensible precautions (voltmeter, check the connections etc) before you set off on a long trip.

wimj

Thanks TigerG, Hockleyboy and others for the advice and encouragement. The bike is back in Holland now, I hope to have it repaired and ready for action soon  :rrr
Riding Any Road