News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam chain tensioner Q's

Started by GavD, October 13, 2018, 06:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Since the arrival of the 800, the steamer has been a tad neglected, however I have started to have a look at a few things that need checking/attention.

Today I took the cam cover off to check the valve clearances and thought I'd give the CCT a once over. I've pulled the tensioner out and checked the spring. Book says it should be 73.7mm. Mine measures at about 70mm, so i've ordered a new one. When checking over the actual tensioner plunger it has extended to the 9th groove. Does anyone know if this is excessive or not? I'm wondering whether to get in there and replace guides/chain/sprockets at the same time.

Bike has done approx 44,000 miles.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

My spring measured 69.6 @ 25k. It made a big difference to the sound of the motor when the new one was fitted.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

GavD

Thanks John,

Will tinker with it over the winter. Got to sort out a dodgy exhaust manifold stud and get new front discs too, so I'll let you know come spring how I've got on.

Another reason I was looking at the CCT was because Mo's Steamer (that has a '93 Daytona engine in it) has been making a rattle according to him. I tried to convince him they all rattle but he was having none of it and so I went round there one night to check a few things out. DAR was my obvious thought but that all looks tight, both the alternator bolt and the drive shaft through from the clutch.

Next we moved onto the CCT, and although the chain seemed to be tensioned we could lift it approx half a mm off of the cam sprockets, so I promised him I'd look at mine when I got the chance. Anyway, I cant lift my chain at all so I think it's something he needs to look at closer.

rybes

I remember when I rebuilt my tiger the cct died when I tried starting it. So I made a new one by drilling out the big head bolt to accept an m10 bolt that I rounded the end on that touches the guide. Then used a locking nut and copper washer on it. Worked a treat and was on there for 3 years with no problems
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Nick Calne

Sorry for the minor diversion, but has anyone got a cheap source for front disc rotors?

Not really knowing about the cam chain tensioner, may I also ask with my bike at 40k now is it something I should be looking at too?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 14, 2018, 11:57:38 AM
Sorry for the minor diversion, but has anyone got a cheap source for front disc rotors?

Not really knowing about the cam chain tensioner, may I also ask with my bike at 40k now is it something I should be looking at too?
Nick,

Not sure on the discs because I'm running a Sprint front end so I'm looking for different discs to you, although triumph-online have a pair for £200 inc bolts.  They have your ones for £180/pair or £220 inc bolts.

As for the CCT, it's something I've been meaning to look into for a while, but Mo's problems pushed me into it.

GavD

Quote from: rybes on October 14, 2018, 10:59:42 AM
I remember when I rebuilt my tiger the cct died when I tried starting it. So I made a new one by drilling out the big head bolt to accept an m10 bolt that I rounded the end on that touches the guide. Then used a locking nut and copper washer on it. Worked a treat and was on there for 3 years with no problems

Can you remember how far the plunger had extended mate?

rybes

No but as its you I'll go take it out and get some pictures and measurements for ya
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

GavD

threepot

I changed the chain a couple of years ago when the mileage was around 60k ish?? I had no unusual noises etc. What I did notice was the tensioner was hardly under any tension. Plunger out most of its travel i suppose? I replaced chain,and spring. All guides looked ok. Not sure how many grooves on plunger,but how far out in relation to its travel might give you an idea on chain condition. But,you can buy a Morse brand on ebay for about £40 ish? No problems with mine.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

Quote from: threepot on October 16, 2018, 06:00:17 PM
I changed the chain a couple of years ago when the mileage was around 60k ish?? I had no unusual noises etc. What I did notice was the tensioner was hardly under any tension. Plunger out most of its travel i suppose? I replaced chain,and spring. All guides looked ok. Not sure how many grooves on plunger,but how far out in relation to its travel might give you an idea on chain condition. But,you can buy a Morse brand on ebay for about £40 ish? No problems with mine.
Cheers Mark,

I didn't check how many grooves in total on the plunger, but when I moved it to the fully extended position then pushed it back into where it was, it was about half way out.

Think I'm gonna put a new spring in and leave it for another couple of years.

Thing is, stripping it down a bit to do this work has revealed other hidden gremlins :cp
It would appear my next job is to replace the exhaust manifold studs as I have 2 that are shot (nuts rusted to nothing), and the rest are n't far behind. One of the exhaust manifold clamps rattles, which may have been the noise that prompted me to investigate the cam chain in the first place!

I'm going to try to do this with the engine still in the bike, but I'm gonna have to remove the radiator and the wheel/forks. No doubt when I remove all the cooling hoses more gremlins will appear then. Don't ya just love 20yr old bikes? :new_all_coholic

JayDub

So summers over I see  :icon_biggrin: spanners out....
My rattle seems to be the balance shaft, or at least its from that area on the left.  Go straight to the heat/freeze method for the exhaust studs, welding a nut on has always been the winner for me. I would be considering stainless exhaust studs and nuts.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

ssevy

I bought a special stud removal socket and it was money well spent. There are few jobs as frustrating as removing a broken manifold stud.
I bought all new studs when I reinstalled the exhaust. Not stainless, but I used plenty of high temp copper never seize in case either the nuts or the studs ever need to come out.
Good luck!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

There are a couple on my bike that aren't really studs anymore.  Just some iron oxide in the shape of something like half a stud.  I daren't touch them... too far gone.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 17, 2018, 04:20:29 PM
There are a couple on my bike that aren't really studs anymore.  Just some iron oxide in the shape of something like half a stud.  I daren't touch them... too far gone.
Similar to mine then Nick,

Gonna spend a week or so heating them and spraying penetration oil on them, then go for the type of tool ssevy suggests and see what happens. Hopefully they'll all come out ok, & i'll replace them with stainless studs/nuts and plenty of copper grease.