News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam chain tensioner Q's

Started by GavD, October 13, 2018, 06:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Nick Calne

My concern Gav is what happen if you get half of what remains of a stud out?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

GavD

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 17, 2018, 08:41:37 PM
My concern Gav is what happen if you get half of what remains of a stud out?

My worry too Nick, but I'm gonna have to go for it. If it comes to it, I'll have to drop the engine out and get drilling!

Off to Cyprus for 10 days next week, so I'll start on it when I get back.

Geoff W

Well 81k miles on mine on the original cam chain. Checked it last year seemed ok. However bike does sound like a chest of spanners tossing a wobbler. I may add it to the list of jobs for the winter, but then.................. :^_^
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

GavD

Quote from: Geoff W on October 19, 2018, 09:34:40 PM
Well 81k miles on mine on the original cam chain. Checked it last year seemed ok. However bike does sound like a chest of spanners tossing a wobbler. I may add it to the list of jobs for the winter, but then.................. :^_^

Whenever I start to worry about how mine sounds, I just think back to listening to yours in Wales Geoff and it makes me feel less anxious! :icon_biggrin:

Timbox2

Quote from: GavD on October 18, 2018, 07:33:41 PM
My worry too Nick, but I'm gonna have to go for it. If it comes to it, I'll have to drop the engine out and get drilling!

Off to Cyprus for 10 days next week, so I'll start on it when I get back.

You gonna meet up with Cos? Hes come over to the dark side 1050 Forum with a new Tiger Sport
2016 Tiger Sport

rybes

Gav I checked my bike but forgot I'd changed the engine so I can't take the measurements for ya. Sorry mate
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

GavD

Quote from: rybes on October 20, 2018, 02:06:51 PM
Gav I checked my bike but forgot I'd changed the engine so I can't take the measurements for ya. Sorry mate

No worries mate, I think I'm OK with the CCT for quite a few miles yet, it's the exhaust studs I'm fretting over at the moment. Gonna leave it for a few weeks though as I'm off to Cyprus for some R&R.
:* :new_all_coholic :* :friday :* :occasion14

Nick Calne

Quote from: Geoff W on October 19, 2018, 09:34:40 PM
However bike does sound like a chest of spanners tossing a wobbler.

But louder  :rfl
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

Update,

I got a bit distracted with the 800, I had to get the exhaust headers off that bike to get a small crack/hole welded up. That took me a couple of weeks to sort out, after which I got back to the steamer.

Radiator came off no problems.

2 of the studs had nut shaped rusty things left on them, so I tapped on a socket and gently tried to ease them off. They wouldn't shift but after a bit of gentle persuasion they started to undo the studs from the head. 2 down, 4 to go!!

2 of the remaining 4 didn't really have nut shaped things left at all, the other 2 had nuts that had rusted to a round shape. Couldn't get them to shift, so out with the dremel. Ground off one side of each 'nut' and then got a hammer and chisel on them to spread them open. That worked and I could then get the headers off.

Ordered an 8mm stud remover that looks like a spark plug socket, it worked on 3 of the studs, but one of them had rusted to a smaller size and it wouldn't grip. Ordered a 2nd tool that is multi size one and although it was a bit awkward, it worked on the last stud.

Got some new stainless studs and nuts, so they're in now, just waiting for some new gaskets to come through and then I can get it all back together.

New coolant, oil and filter, also gotta source some new front brake discs and then i should be good for the MOT.

GavD