News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger Down Dilemma

Started by gbcphoto, October 21, 2018, 11:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbcphoto

Well it finally happened after almost 18 years....I crashed my 2001Tiger, that just turned 100,000 Km and that I have owned since new. Still can't believe it. It was a fairly low speed come off with kitty litter type gravel involved as the undoing of trying to save the corner.
Some bruised body parts and a severely damaged ego.

Here is my dilemma. The damage to the bike is all up front. It needs a front headlight cowling along with the turn indicator light panel mounts, a new cockpit panel, nose fairing mounting bracket, front brake master cylinder, clutch lever post, handle bar and a few other things.
I have found most parts on ebay already and they come in at a price that I can sort of justify to get the bike up and running over a winter. Motor, suspension, tires, brakes charging system all are A1.
The only parts not available are the headlight cowling and side indicator panels. I suspect like my crash they do not survive most crashes to go into used bins. They are cost prohibitive new if I could even get them as OEM.

Hoping there is someone out there that might have the panel parts I need?
If not I am considering parting the bike out myself. Dreading the thought of doing the ebay thing.....keep it and wait for parts to come up or part it out and start looking at a new 800....??

Any help, thoughts and or suggestions most appreciated. 

Cheers
Gary
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Jayell

This is most disappointing, but hopefully all is not lost. Sorry, I have no parts to offer.

When you refer to the headlight cowling, do you mean the fairing? Difficult if not impossible to repair. Perhaps a body guy could help? I bit the bullet and ordered a brand new fairing from the dealer two years ago when I smashed mine. I couldn't believe it was available. $400. Ouch. The bike was in otherwise good shape, so I thought it was worth it.

How bad are the turn signal panels? The posts that fasten through the tank can be JB welded or epoxied.

Cockpit panel? Do you mean the dashboard? The posts are broken? They can be epoxied, too. Same with the headlight bucket if it's damaged. Straighten out the fairing mount as best you can or replace.

I've been through this and had similar damage. If your bike is in good shape, it's worth keeping and repairing. Don't give up on it yet!

2002 Tiger 955i, 2011 Thruxton, 2020 Moto Guzzi V85TT

Jayell

Chris Canning

Been there do that and lost track of how many ribs I broke but enough to keep me off the road for months might even be some photos on here still,thank heavens for crash bars but there were parts I didn't have couldn't find and one of the joys of multi bike ownership I just took the bike off the road for what must have been 8/9 months till they did appear.

gbcphoto

Jayell !!  Thanks so much for this find. I have been all over ebay for the past several days looking for parts. Never came across this post. Again thanks.
GBC

Quote from: Jayell on October 22, 2018, 06:29:28 AM
Time to polish up on your German.

Not inexpensive, but looks to be pristine: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Triumph-Tiger-955i-709-EN-Bj-2001-Frontverkleidung-Cockpitverkleidung/283220201470?hash=item41f13d4ffe:g:gkQAAOSw7fxby0uA:rk:17:pf:0

2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Jayell

Did I get the colour right?

There is plenty more good Girly stuff on the German site eBay.de. Just about anything one might need.

The most elusive parts, I think, are the fairing, the front half of the front fender, the turn signal thingies, and the hand guards. Just about everything else is out there.

GBC, the same vendor who is selling the fairing, https://www.ebay.de/usr/motorradteilehannover?_trksid=p2047675.l2559, is parting out the bike shown below. I see the turn signal panels in the photo. I couldn't find a listing, but maybe he still has them. It might be worth a try.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. And share some photos!

I'm really hoping this story has a happy ending.  :thumbsup

Jayell

If things don't work out, you could always go this route:

Chris Canning

Just make sure when buying off eBay.de they will actually send/sell out of Germany because lot will not so it's always best to ask i've Even had some that will block your bid.

Sidk

Quote from: Jayell on October 23, 2018, 06:06:05 AM
If things don't work out, you could always go this route:

That actually looks really nice...

gbcphoto

Thanks everyone for you input and suggestions! Much appreciated. I think I pretty much have all the parts to get the old girl back on the road. The German Ebay site was the best source. Bid on all a I needed and they were accepted.
Only thing missing is the right side turn indicator panel. May have to break down and see if Triumph has a new one laying around $$$.
Winter is almost here so it looks like a winter project to get it and my 1969 Kawasaki H1 repaired and the later restored. Thanks again to all who replied.
Cheers
GBC
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Jayell

Really glad to see you're proceeding, GBC.  :thumbsup

Check that adventure rider site for someone who may have a turn signal thingy laying around.

After doing a little poking about, I've learned that there are two different fairings for the Girly. The Triumph parts diagrams refer to them as "Cockpit Type A" and "Cockpit Type B". I learn something new every day!

Here's the difference. The first two photos are of the type with a cut out above the dash.

This is the second one, without a cut out above the dash:

The one from the ePay listing noted above is the second type. I believe a stock windscreen will work with either type.

Chris Canning

All the original bodywork off my 955 has been in the loft for over 15 years what I have on is off a 885i.

Timbox2

Cant say I remember seeing the cut-out version cowl before, both my 05 ally wheel and 03 spoke wheel Girlies had the non cutout cowl
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Gosh, you do live and learn. Never seen the difference before, thanks for that lesson.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Jayell

How about an update, Mr. GBC?