News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

D.A.R.

Started by Sidk, November 13, 2018, 03:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

I had my Steamer in for service, changed the oil, changed gaskets (I didn't know they could stop dripping oil), rebuilt and synched carbs, inlet rubbers, airbox, and of course the valve shims etc.
well it seems that when i all was sorted the Steamer became a lot quieter (well as quiet as they can be)
quiet enough that i can hear a distinct rattling at idle that goes away once i get the RPM's up... so.... looks like i need to go in again and sort it out.

now the question is, should i get the necessary replacement kit (T122-0800) from a Triumph type online dealer(fowlers/WOT/ETC) or is there an off the shelf solution i can use.

as always thanks in advance!

Mustang

What year is your steamer ?
If it's a 98
Most likely has broken the head off the bolt on the
Alternator shaft very easy fix ....usually

98TIGA

Quote(I didn't know they could stop dripping oil)

It's funny you should say that. I was just marveling today at the fact my '98 Tiger doesn't leak a drop of oil-- pretty remarkable for a 20-year-old machine!
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

Sidk

Quote from: Mustang on November 13, 2018, 09:53:58 PM
What year is your steamer ?
If it's a 98

1997 its the easy fixes that worry me :icon_wink:

Sidk

Quote from: 98TIGA on November 14, 2018, 07:00:29 AM
It's funny you should say that. I was just marveling today at the fact my '98 Tiger doesn't leak a drop of oil-- pretty remarkable for a 20-year-old machine!

well before i changed the gaskets and did what i did.. there was always a couple of drips on the garage floor :D

ssevy

Quote from: 98TIGA on November 14, 2018, 07:00:29 AM
Have you checked your dipstick lately?
Maybe it's empty :wings
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

98TIGA

A "dipstick"? What's that..?
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

ssevy

Quote from: 98TIGA on November 15, 2018, 04:07:16 AM
A "dipstick"? What's that..?

They like to ride over-priced bikes with loud pipes and their wardrobe and home furnishings come in just two colors, orange and black :augie
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

Mmmmmm orange and black..

Timbox2

Ah, BMW GS in KTM colours
2016 Tiger Sport

nightrunner

Quote from: Mustang on November 13, 2018, 09:53:58 PM
If it's a 98

I'm pretty sure the DAR problem affected all Steamers, 1994-98.  I recall many years ago there a lot of posts about DAR and how to fix. Anyway if you just replace the bolt it will happen again. You have to fix the cause of the rattle.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril