News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Heat Guard with aftermarket can.

Started by PaulScar, December 15, 2018, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulScar

Someone out there must have done this and I would like a bit of advice. I'm thinking of changing the standard exhaust can for a Motad Venom. Is it advisable to find a way to fit the Heat Guard from the Standard can? If I don't will the Triumph panniers suffer at all?

Bigyam

If you can do it i'd say yes fit one , as its there for a reason , mostly to protect pillion's legs, Better safe than sorry

Timbox2

I ran a Motad Venom on my last 955 without any heat issues:

2016 Tiger Sport

PaulScar

Thanks for the replies. What I propose to do is drill the new can and fit some rivnuts and spacers to put the heat shield on. It is the Triumph plastic panniers I am more worried about than pillion passenger legs as I don't carry a passenger. As an alternative I also thought about getting another OEM can, gutting it and fitting a perforated tube and silencer wadding in there then welding it back together.

Chris Canning

I'd seriously doubt if the outside skin would stand having a steel heat shield hung on it,even the original pipe doesn't use that system.

I'd try plan B first.

Timbox2

Ist Tiger with a Remus exhaust and panniers

2nd Tiger that came with a Blueflame Exhaust and Panniers, I stopped using the panniers but the previous owner had toured Europe with this set-up. If your that worried I would just get some heatproof foil and stick it to the inner part of the pannier

2016 Tiger Sport

Lee337

Heat resistant foil would be my recommendation. Not had a need for it myself as I use the original can, but I've seen it used to good effect on cars.

You can buy it in self adhesive rolls fairly cheaply.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

PaulScar

Thanks Guys, Hadn't thought of heat reflecting foil, great idea. I have decided to try plan B first, ie make an absorption type silencer from an OEM can.