News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ethanol

Started by Sidk, December 27, 2018, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

Well it has finally reared its ugly head in these parts.
as of January 1, they will be implementing Ethanol into fuel sold here,
starting at 1% and making their way to 3% in 2020, with a final goal of 10% in 2021 (from what i gather)

ssevy

That truly sucks! The corn lobby here in the US keeps the ethanol train firmly on the tracks, but some states allow the sale of non-ethanol for recreational uses. Here in NY I am very fortunate, because we can get non-ethanol in many locations, but I still use an additive, just to cover what is left in the hose from the previous person pumping gas, or an unscrupulous station selling ethanol as non-ethanol.
Star Tron is one of the products that has always worked well for me, and it also seems to keep the fuel system super clean, as I noticed my mileage increase a bit when I first used it. Here in NY, we have a similar product manufactured in our own state that is called K100, and it also works really well.
Not sure what will be available in Greece, but you may as well do your homework now, as ethanol can cause fuel system headaches that are not only time consuming to address, but can also be really expensive in terms of labor if you don't do the work yourself.
In the case of ethanol, an ounce of prevention is definitely better than a shit ton of cure. :bug_eye
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sidk

I have started looking into fuel stabilizing products just to be on the safe side.  It is not clear yet if they will be selling non ethanol fuel (at a premium) yet, i guess ill find out soon enough.

threepot

I know in the uk,Esso Premium does not contain any.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

fishnbiker

Same here in Canada, many major brands carry non ethanol premium. I had some issues with ethanol fuel some 18 years ago. Seems the tank nylon gave off some vapours into the fuel & laid down a thin layer of white dust in my carbs, inside everywhere. I lined the tank with Kreem sealer & no more carbs clogging. I have been using 87 RON regular 10% ethanol in my Tiger for 18 years, no issue with other rubber parts including cooling.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Sidk

Spoke with the owner of the local Shell i fuel up at and asked him about the ethanol, and if some of the premium varieties will be without. Sadly he advised me no. that it was going everywhere just like the biodiesel directive which put biodiesel in all diesel varieties.

we shall see how it goes..

Bostedsprocket

Ethanol has been in uk fuel for quite some time its called b5 the 5 stands for 5% ethanol, all supermarket fuels contain it and most other fuel stations regular unleaded, the uk is going to be using b10, by august this year, it was on the Jerramy Vine radio show a few weeks back about how many cars and motorcycles will be affected they reckond nearly all motorcycles registerd before 2001 all Vauxhalls before 2004 and all fords before 2007. All euro cars citroen Renault etc will be fine as Europe have been running ethanol since the late 80's. having a plastic tank on your bike what chance you got of keeping it nice and I bet they still charge the earth for it!!
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

arielAl

I got my 95 tiger last winter as a non runner, found water in carbs, presto! I spent time rebuilding carbs etc with tank off for months. springtime came and tank wouldn't fit, was too long,!  had to elongate holes by 1/2 "! again ethanol is the supposed culprit.
Although I use premium fuel when I can I have had misfires twice this summer untill I empty carbs of water again. I have put new seal on filler cap and the drain is clear, can ethanol really absorb that much water?
I have a data tool alarm question if any one is familiar with them, I'll start a new thread...