News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Old Bike Travelling Europe

Started by Chris Canning, February 21, 2019, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Say over 10 years old anyone done it recently? How did you get on with break down cover?

mark4

Did it in 2017 with Eurobreakdown. Cost about £65 for their silver cover on a bike that was 11 years old at the time.

I also had the misfortune to have to use their recovery service after an accident in Europe on that trip, and they were excellent from start to finish, getting both the bike and myself back to the UK with no expense spared.

So I would recommend them highly, they delivered when I needed it.

Chris Canning

I have both the Carole Nash option and my RAC but both are at best ambiguous to say the least,in fact CN said if the cost of recovery was more than the value of the bike there'd leave it and send me a cheque quite what happens to us is open to debate.

It's not really life and death as I have newer bikes but my two old bikes are always an option.

Geoff W

Did a trip around the Southern Baltic Coast, Lithuania/Poland/ Germany/ Holland in 2016. (There is a writeup on here somewhere), my steamer was 20 years old at the time. it is insured with Footman-James, including breakdown for anywhere in the EU. I had no issues at all, took spare cables and a few odds and ends. If you are catching a ferry on the European mainland be sure to have your V5 and insurance certificate with you. I went from Kiel to Klaipeda a very pleasant trip.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Chris Canning

Not so much going on an old bike but if the break down supplier Is prepared to bring the bike home as I said in the other post CN suggested not if the bike value was low.

HockleyBoy

Chris,

Like you I have CN and RAC and rely on that when travelling, to be honest if I or a local shop couldn't fix the bike then its probably not worth bringing home anyway!

We all know most of the common faults and they are usually fixable if you have a few spares.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

To be honest i'm Not to bothered either way i'd Just like to know the rules of the game,as a bike my Tiger is worth not a lot but the Dymags/Beringers/Ohlins are still with a few Bob.