News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Uneven brake pad wear ??

Started by Tiger-G, February 28, 2019, 06:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Hi All  :wave

Does anyone else get uneven wear on their rear brake pads ??

Every set of pads I've had on the rear caliper have worn unevenly. The fronts are always fine. As you can see in the pic there is about 3mm on one pad, and a good 5mm on the other. When they wear down fully there's nothing on one and about 3mm on the other ??

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

That can happen if the slider pins are seized up, take the caliper off and just check that the sliding bracket can move freely on the pins, and check the rubber boots arent deformed and broken up. You must only use either Red Brake grease or Silicon grease on the pins, most other greases attack the rubber boots
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Yeah, I keep on top of the slider pins, I think it's more the sliding bracket. Although I copperslip the two dowels regularly enough it never moves freely by hand. Just checking it then when I had the pads out, it takes some force to move backwards and forwards. Not even sure if it should slide freely ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

PeteH

It should move without too much pressure applied, its the dowels or sliding pins that need the rubber grease not copperslip as that buggers up rubber quite nicely
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Tiger-G

Yeah, a few people have mentioned not to use copperslip as it fecks the rubber. Might be time for a professional caliper overhaul  :icon_salut:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

PeteH

Quote from: Tiger-G on March 14, 2019, 09:51:03 PMMight be time for a professional caliper overhaul  :icon_salut:

You should be able to it yourself, all parts are available from Squaredeals-ltd.co.uk, no connection to them apart from buying  :nod

Tiger-G

Quote from: PeteH on March 18, 2019, 01:23:19 AM
You should be able to it yourself, all parts are available from Squaredeals-ltd.co.uk, no connection to them apart from buying  :nod

Yep, think I'll go down that route, with World of Triumph wanting £400 for a new rear caliper, I'll have no trouble doing a overhaul myself  :bug_eye .  It's just the stiff bracket slider pins that gets me. I have no idea why it would be stiff to move, and always has been ?? Maybe lubing it with copperslip is causing a suction affect ??

Will have a good look at it for the spring riding season  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on March 19, 2019, 12:48:49 PM
Yep, think I'll go down that route, with World of Triumph wanting £400 for a new rear caliper, I'll have no trouble doing a overhaul myself  :bug_eye .  It's just the stiff bracket slider pins that gets me. I have no idea why it would be stiff to move, and always has been ?? Maybe lubing it with copperslip is causing a suction affect ??

Will have a good look at it for the spring riding season  :icon_wink:

If you dont fancy doing it yourself and can do without the bike for a week or two, you can send the caliper to these folk: https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/motorcycle-brakes/motorcycle-brake-caliper-rebuild-service.php

They will rebuild your caliper for £44 as long as the pistons are reusable.  Alternatively they also offer an exchange caliper service for £68
2016 Tiger Sport

PeteH

Quote from: Tiger-G on March 19, 2019, 12:48:49 PM
It's just the stiff bracket slider pins that gets me. I have no idea why it would be stiff to move, and always has been ??

My rear calliper slider seized a while back (due to lack of attention)...had to cut the fecker off and buy a new one, Triumph only part tho :(

Tiger-G

Quick update.......

Well, I bought a caliper overhaul kit off FleaBay for £20. It includes new seals, bleed nipple, and most importantly, the rubbers that the slider bracket sits in.

Took the caliper off and gave it a very good clean. The slider bracket rubber seals were swollen and damaged. I used some wet 'n dry on the bracket pins in the hope that it would help them slide more freely. Put the new seals and bracket rubbers in and checked the slider. It moves more freely, but I'm not convinced its as free floating as it should be ??  Put it all back on the bike and bled the system. Hopefully, this will sort the uneven wear   :icon_wink:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bostedsprocket

Hi Greame did you use proper calliper rubber grease in the sliders? normal grease or copper slip causes the rubber to swell and distort, I did my rear calliper last Sunday new seals rubber boots and pads feels ace now. I was gonna fit a new rear disc as I have a brand new one I bought for my old 885i but never got round to fitting, but the disc that's on it is too good to scrap so ill hang back on that for few thousand miles.   
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

Tiger-G

Hi mate,

Yep....used proper rubber grease on the sliders this time. No more copperslip for me !  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

PeteH

Quote from: Tiger-G on April 19, 2019, 09:59:19 PM
Hi mate,

Yep....used proper rubber grease on the sliders this time. No more copperslip for me !  :icon_wink:
Copperslip is an anti seize for bolts etc and not a lubricant, I too found out the expensive way  :thumbsup