News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Fuel Level Sender Unit!

Started by Lucifer955i, March 09, 2019, 02:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer955i

Hi Folks,

quick question, I have a new fuel level sender unit on it's way for my 04 Tiger 955i . I presume it is going to be of the hard grey plastic float variety.
So my question is, should I do the zip tie mod to restrict the amount float travel to say 3/4 of a tank on this the new version sender unit (pic attached), or have the issues with the previous sender unit been addressed and sorted with this one, so just fit it as normal? At £75 a pop I'm hoping it doesn't need any fettling. 

Many thanks

Paul

Chris Canning

Zip tie mod? That's a new one on me i've Had mine in and out several times filter change and just keeping the tank clean and it works just like the day it did 18 years ago.

Lucifer955i

I wish I could say the same, the original fuel level sender went a bit bonkers ages ago, so I've been using the trip counter and refuelling at around 200miles. A couple of times I've nearly been caught out when for an unknown reason I've only got 33mpg! Usually I get 48mpg.
I've started to get a wiff of petrol every now and again, so I will be removing the tank to check for leaks, so have decided to do all the jobs I've been putting off. Plugs, filter, coolant, thermostat, anything on the petrol tank with a perished rubber and fuel sender unit.

I hadn't had the bike long when the problem with the sender occurred and I remember reading a post about the float doing something at the far end of travel which could cause problems and there was a modification to limit the distance the float travels up the tube. However from what I can remember it was two holes drilled across the tube with a zip tie going across not the same as the pic from the OP.

Unfortunately I have the Heed crash bars that have to be removed before the tank can come off so it's a real pain of a job for me to do and the last thing I want to do is to have to empty the tank and strip everything down again because of the lack of a zip tie. I should mention, I'm one of those riders that takes forever and a day to get ready (I've even practiced getting ready between outings to speed up), a total nightmare a petrol stations so I tend to fill the tank to the brim so I can go further between fill ups. I believe the brimming of the tank could be a issue. Despite the Heed crash bars making it a pain to get to the tank, I've dropped the Tiger twice now and they have performed flawlessly, so happy to stick with them.

Timbox2

Have you still got the plastic fuel line connectors?  33mpg and smelling of petrol sounds alarming
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Surely there isn't anyone still riding around with those  :icon_eek:

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 09, 2019, 08:30:21 PM

OP's is a cast wheel bike so hopefully has the later single metal fuel pipe, but you never know, its the sudden 33mpg which is puzzling
2016 Tiger Sport

Bostedsprocket

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 09, 2019, 08:30:21 PM
:augie Believe it or not I still haven't got round to changing mine, im still using it every day for work but wont be doing any major ride outs or tours till ive changed them.
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

Lucifer955i

Hi sorry for late reply, tried to answer questions from my Tablet, which didn't want to play!

My Tiger has the single metal connection, which I've checked several times and there are no leaks there. I suspect it's comming from the other end on the fuel return.

Now for the 33mpg, this has happened twice since Christmas past. The first time I was on a ride out with a friend, he stopped for fuel so I thought I might as well top up then I don't need to when I get home. I should of had enough for over 100miles and put in something like 18l. The following week I went on a rideout, filled up when I got home and was back to normal mpg. The following week from a full tank I only notched up 20 miles then parked up for 3 or 4 days, on the saturday I rode up to Pro Twin Ducati Dealers with my Bro in Law. It's 80miles from where I live. He had his bike mapped and we came back stopping off at Cheriton some 60 miles so I've travelled 160 miles. Bike was running sweet as, no complaints until I filled up at the first garage as I came off the M20 into Cheriton. I can't remember the exact amount but I think I put £35 to £38 of petrol which on the recipt the one thing I do remember it said I filled up 25L Unleaded, which is 1) a bit strange when you have a 22L tank 2) I should have had at least 5L in the tank.

Yesterday I drained 21/22 litres of petrol out of the tank, this after noon I took the cover off the bike to remove some body parts and I was greeted with the wiff of petrol fumes again!

Timbox2

Tiger has a 24Ltr Tank by the way, still dont know how youd get 25 in though unless its pissing out somewhere. Good youve got the single fuel pipe, Ive never heard of any issues with that
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

The only other thing I can think of is the Viton seal on the male is iffy.

Lucifer955i

Well the tank is coming off at some point this week so l can check everything over and replace as necassary. Hence the original post about the fuel level sender.

I've had the bike for three years now and don't think I've ever put more than 20L in it to be honest. But as I walked away from the paydesk and saw 25L on the receipt I very nearly went back to query it.
But I was really cold and I had a hot cup of coffee waiting for me,  so the receipt went in the wallet and off I went  to warm up over a hot drink.

Last outing, I filled up and went out and I got 48mpg over 150 miles. Then like a nob l filled it to the brim, knowing full well I was going to be taking the tank off this week.

Timbox2

I would swap the fuel filter while your at it, unless you know its been done recently.  There is an ebay seller doing em for £12 with free postage.  Just search for Mahle KL145.

Triumphs current price is £39.50!!!!!!
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

My reading of the OP's posts the tank hasn't been taken off so there's only two options for leaks the seal around the plate that holds the pump and sender in the tank which is quite substantial or the Viton seal on male fuel pipe which many folk have had to change,

Lucifer955i

Hi,
No thanks to Graham or Russel or whatever the latest weather front is called, I eventually got the fuel tank off, had to remove both sides of my Heed crash bars from the bike. They now have a date with a cutting disk as not going through that again. On the occasions that I've dropped the bike the lower parts of the bars have sustained all the damage so don't think there will be any issues with lopping the tops off.

After carrying the tank in to the kitchen and removing the bagster my back went, so game over till tomorrow, when I shall continue my quest find where the petrol fumes are coming from. There is nothing obvious at the moment though!

If I change the fuel filter I presume I will need a new gasket for the Pump assembly?

Chris Canning

That's a no with the gasket just re use it,trying to work out how you got the tank off with the bagster on :icon_scratch: its the first thing I take off.