News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ULEZ

Started by HockleyBoy, April 02, 2019, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Whilst I had heard about the new ULEZ for London I hadn't realised how soon it would affect me. As of next week I can no longer ride my Tiger into London without paying the new charge. Annoyingly, my Tiger is on an 05 plate despite being the 06 model (Caspian blue with the 1050 head). The charge is being applied on date of registration and not whether the bike is actually Euro 3 compliant so I am screwed.

Had just decided to run the bike for the summer as I put new tyres on recently but now I need a new bike next week. There will be a very cheap high mileage Tiger for sale pretty soon!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nick Calne

There are tests available I read some where which allow you to evidence that your bikes makes less pollution than the euro 3 baseline.  If you can pass this you are exempted.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

I bought a KTMGT a week ago with an IOM number plate on it,i'll Sell you the plate if you like  :icon_lol:

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Nick Calne on April 02, 2019, 03:31:55 PM
There are tests available I read some where which allow you to evidence that your bikes makes less pollution than the euro 3 baseline.  If you can pass this you are exempted.

With 123k miles on the clock I am not sure it would pass anything on emissions!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 02, 2019, 04:39:52 PM
I bought a KTMGT a week ago with an IOM number plate on it,i'll Sell you the plate if you like  :icon_lol:

That would be one way round the problem!

Chris Canning

Quote from: HockleyBoy on April 02, 2019, 06:33:01 PM
With 123k miles on the clock I am not sure it would pass anything on emissions!

Jeez that's some miles that i'll Be interested to see what you replace it with Timbox has just bought a new 1290 KTM as well but I doubt either his or mine is the ideal commuter for you.

Nick Calne

123k miles. You have had your money's worth! :5moped
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 02, 2019, 09:30:12 PM
Jeez that's some miles that i'll Be interested to see what you replace it with Timbox has just bought a new 1290 KTM as well but I doubt either his or mine is the ideal commuter for you.

I like the KTM but as you say, not really an ideal commuter. I am still looking for a Tiger Sport at the moment, looks like it ticks most of the boxes for me and there are a few newer ones around with low mileage at reasonable prices. Just waiting for one with all the extras I want!

HockleyBoy

Quote from: London_Phil on April 03, 2019, 01:37:56 AM
Check the Registration doc. You might be lucky

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/loophole-means-older-motorbikes-may-still-qualify-for-ulez-exemption/

Thanks, I will have a look as it might buy me a bit of time while I look for another bike

Ossian

Obviously I never go near London. But cynical counter-productive rulings like ULEZ are good reason for being a member of MAG who are engaged in challenging this ridiculous law. The only beneficiaries are the rich who can afford their zero rated Rolls Royces and Ferraris etc.
I believe there is only one emissions test station, which was only nominated the week before ULEZ was due to start, and the fee for each bike (not each model of bike) is £175.00