News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is the 05 better than a 04?

Started by dougahole, July 19, 2005, 05:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougahole

Has anyone tested an 05 tiger that owns a older tiger (01 to 04) to make a suspension and handling comparison? Is it that much better or is it just more street friendly? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a tiger and if the 05 is that much better then I might cough up the extra $$ and look for a good used 05 instead of the more affordable, slightly older ones. Any input would be most helpfull. Thanks!

PeterO

Quote from: "dougahole"Has anyone tested an 05 tiger that owns a older tiger (01 to 04) to make a suspension and handling comparison? Is it that much better or is it just more street friendly? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a tiger and if the 05 is that much better then I might cough up the extra $$ and look for a good used 05 instead of the more affordable, slightly older ones. Any input would be most helpfull. Thanks!

This site was mentioned here in the last few days....

http://www.chrisneary.co.uk/my_bike.html

It has comments about '04 and '05 bikes,

Peter O

holland1

if it's only the suspension you better invest  $150-200  and buy some WP  replacement springs. I mounted them on my '02 long time ago.......
gas is alles

Brock

Bought my '04 a year ago (it was one of the last of these, black, with spokes, black frame, etc) and I would NOT swap it for anything at the moment. IMHO a low-mileage '04 (or even earlier...same bike) with some suspension mods if you must, is the way to go. There've been a number of adverse comments about the '05 concerning strange noises coming from the front end and the rear.

Anyway with a bit of luck there'll be a brand spanky super-duper NEW Tiger in a year or so.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

PeterO

Quote from: "Brock"Bought my '04 a year ago (it was one of the last of these, black, with spokes, black frame, etc) .

GRRRR !!!!  I wanted one of them to replace my old '97 Black steamer, but despite checking around dealers I couldn't find one...  Still I'm more than pleased with my '05 now the ECU is setup correctly.

Peter O

pauljones1227

The 05 makes clonking noises, but handles better and look a lot nicer with alloys and less the eyebrows...Silver of course

dougahole

Well, I almost had me an 05. It went for $7350 on Ebay and I put my bid in too late and my slow ass computer didn't send it in time. I inspected the bike yesterday and it was flawless with only 754 miles on it. The hunt continues :cry:

Speed3guy

I test rode and '04 both on and off rode and didn't buy.  I test rode an '05 on and off rode and bought one on the spot.  To me, it seemed like the '05 was far better sorted than the '04.  I've put 7000 miles on it since I bought it in late March and no real complaints so far.

bwvtom

Have just machined up some alloy fork spacers, tried 20 mm and way too hard, took another 5 mm off and they are just nice.

Still soft enough to give a smooth ride over small ripples and take harder hits in their stride.   Springs are standard and went to heavier grade fork oil as well.

Forks are 10mm above top triple clamp; I increase this to 15mm if I intend chasing sports bikes through the twisties.

B-Burl

2001 955i

:D
B-burl