News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Consumption!!

Started by redbranchwarrior, July 20, 2005, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbranchwarrior

I'm confused and slightly concerned.......

I had my bike serviced last week (24k), on collection i was told the oil level had been a little low (not enough to cause damage) and too keep a close eye on it.

I have done about 250 miles since then and went to check the oil yesterday. When i checked it only the bottom section (third) of the dip stick was covered in oil. I checked it with the bike on centre stand from cold, side stand leaning it towards me when cold, warmed up then allowed to stand for short while both on centre stand and leaning-all with the same result/level. I screwed the stick in each time.

Now either i don't know how to check my oil (perfectly possible) or the bike is burining it.....

Any thoughts/comments suggestions?

I am going to take her back to the garage this afternoon, just thought i would try and tap into the collective wisdom here first.......

Alan

There was a problem with the engine breather oil seal being put in back to front during engine assembly on a few engines.

I don't know the scale of the problem but it has been discussed on this and other forums.

redbranchwarrior

Cheers BT

My bike is a 2001, would this part likely have been moved/changed during the service?

NortonCharlie

I have a 2001 with the seal reversed, it didn't start leaking till about 25,000 miles.  At 1st mine didn't use oil for the  1st  1500 miles after an oil change and by 2500 miles it would drink a quart in 500 miles.  I took me till 48,000 miles to change the seal.  If it is leaking you will have oil in the airbox (clean side of the filter).  If you pull the breather hose it should be almost oil free.

One thing about checking your oil, you should lean your bike slightly to the right for a few second after shutting down the motor to get the oil out of the head.  The cam chain is on the right side of the motor and that is where the ol returns.  If you put is on the sidestand then shut it down a small amount of oil will stay in the head, if it cools down before you stand it back up it takes a long time for the cool oil to run back into the case.

Another thing, my Tiger seems to check a little lower on the centerstand than it does sitting on the wheels.  Last change mine checked slightly above the lowest ring on the dipstick on the centerstand after filling with a 4 liter jug of Triumph oil.

I'd watch it and not worry about it till you see definate loss
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Paka

I was also checking mine on the center stand and have found to check it with the bike OFF the center stand. Little harder to do but level is where it should be.

Paka

redbranchwarrior

Thanks for the advice guys.

How far up the dip-stick should the oil level be?

Alan