News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How much weight can I put in a triumph top box?

Started by PaulScar, April 21, 2019, 03:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulScar

There is a label on the carrier rack which says Max Load 5Kg. That doesn't seem much. My tent is a fairly big one (Vango Tour 200) and weighs I think about 9KG. It fits like a glove into the Triumph top box and it seems a shame if I have to strap it across the pillion seat for touring and that is the only real practical alternative. Anybody exceeded the 5Kg for long periods OK?

Chris Canning

Times that figure about about 5 and you'll be around right how long for?? In my case close on 20 years but i've Got away with it with a big spring on my Ohlins so the extra weight has zero effect on the steering the weight has had no effect on the rack or subframe.

PaulScar

Thanks for that. Setting off for three weeks in the Alps on Wednesday.and didn't want my tent spread across the autobahn.

Tiger-G

I wouldn't worry about that sort of weight at all. I think about some of the stuff I've had in my top box over the years !!  :icon_confused:

When it comes to tents........if I was taking my small tent I would put it all in a tank bag, the big tent used to get strapped to the back seat (obviously, you won't be able to do that riding two up  :icon_wink:), and my sleeping bags went in the front wheel panniers.

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.