News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheel corrosion

Started by rybes, April 21, 2019, 07:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

When I put my steamer away for the winter it seems I didn't do a good enough job of cleaning the wheels. Got it out this afternoon to give a going over ready for next week and noticed some salt spots on the wheels. I cleaned them all off but it's left behind little black marks and tiny pots. A scotchbrite works so far but won't clean it completely. I also tried auto sol on a small buffing wheel but it's still there.
Has anyone got a way of removing them?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Nick Calne

I think all steamer wheels do this in the end.  It was so bad on one set of wheels that I had to get my rear wheel rebuilt with a new rim.  I had the rim painted as a preventative measure.  The wheelwright that did this for me told me that they can suffer quite a lot of corrosion from within too and if I ever have the tyre off the front (not replaced) then to check it out.  I don't know if that makes sense but when the tyre eventually comes off I will take a look.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JayDub

My front wheel was bubbling around the valve hole when I first got it, I was able to peel off the top layer of aluminium, but the rear wheels don't seem to suffer as much as the front.
I'm considering a change to girly wheels (Berhr) they're better than the OEM DID.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

London_Phil

Girly Rear one's a little wider too.
Fitted to my Steamer for same reason.
Behr quality is very good, if you can find any

Geoff W

I had to replace both my wheels 2-3 years ago due to corrosion. The rebuilt wheels have stainless steel spokes and better quality metal in the rims. No problems with them since then.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Tiger-G

Both wheels on my 2006 955I were corroded within two years of new, just out of warranty !! Along with the swinging arm  :icon_frown:  Ohh.....and don't forget the bubbles in the fuel tank stripes  :icon_frown:

Been like that ever since, I just got used to living with it. Just a Tiger moulting  :icon_sad:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

threepot

Original wheels made by DID. Same company as the chains? Think their chains are better than the wheels. I've had to replace both my rears on my steamer due to corrosion/delamination around the spokes. Got a cast wheel on the back now. Hope to change front aswel.
95 Super111
96 Tiger