News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

O2 Dongle

Started by Chris Canning, May 01, 2019, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Over the years god knows knows how many times i've Mentioned the o2 dongle I purchased must be 10 years ago(at least) even to the point Bixxer on here knew it was keep't in a bowl by the phone  :icon_biggrin: and every time i've Tried it(many) neither the bike or me liked it.

Had a day out yesterday to Crossgates cafe in Wales tried the dongle yet again and Eureka in recent years i've Changed coils/alternator/R/R/Battery so who knows  :icon_scratch:

wimj

<< So who knows >>

I for one would like to know how you (dis)liked it this time. Have a dongle on my desk as well but still reluctant to try it. Does it smooth the running or does it make the engine duller?
Riding Any Road

Chris Canning

As usual i'll Digress!!!

The very first few 955 Tigers have different wiring so where I actually fit the dongle takes me 2/3 seconds( at the back of the engine block left side)everyone else sadly has to lift the tank unless folks mod the wiring so comparing the dongle in and out can be done very quickly for me.

In the past i've Always felt that it took the edge off the way the engine ran higher up the rev range just not so free revving enough compared to being without it,if your a commuter then it's a no brainier but I never had to do that on the bike.

Over the years i'd Try it not be happy with the results and forget about it yesterday for what ever reason and certainly since the last time I tried it various electrical things have been changed plus of recent i've Been running very good fuel consistently which is something I have not always done but currently the bike is running very well considering I have had it 18 years this month some praise  :icon_biggrin:

Chris Canning

For those folk who want to be a little more techy all the dongle does is stops the ECU chasing its tail the 02 plug convinces it that the fuelling is perfect.

Where things get a tad more complex the lamba is essentially an emissions device thought up by those folks who only mean harm to internal combustion engine  :icon_biggrin: but one could also argue gives the ECU the ability to deal with greater variations with altitude .

Bostedsprocket

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 01, 2019, 07:34:07 PM
As usual i'll Digress!!!

The very first few 955 Tigers have different wiring so where I actually fit the dongle takes me 2/3 seconds( at the back of the engine block left side)everyone else sadly has to lift the tank unless folks mod the wiring so comparing the dongle in and out can be done very quickly for me.

In the past i've Always felt that it took the edge off the way the engine ran higher up the rev range just not so free revving enough compared to being without it,if your a commuter then it's a no brainier but I never had to do that on the bike.

Over the years i'd Try it not be happy with the results and forget about it yesterday for what ever reason and certainly since the last time I tried it various electrical things have been changed plus of recent i've Been running very good fuel consistently which is something I have not always done but currently the bike is running very well considering I have had it 18 years this month some praise  :icon_biggrin:
Like you have said many times before Chris it depends what side of the bed they get out of, like yours mine seems to have two tick over speeds, some days sluggish at around 900 other days around 1200 but either way it runs fine, ive done nearly 5000 miles sinse I borrowed your fuel lines and balanced the throttle bodies touch wood other than a water pump seal its been trouble free.   
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!