News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sidestand problems

Started by PaulScar, May 20, 2019, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulScar

Just got back from 3 weeks camping and exploring in Belgium, France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Belgium in that order. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip apart from one recurring problem. When the tiger is fully loaded I cant get it on the sidestand unless i find a hole to put it in or a favourable camber. I dropped the bike 3 times in one car park, stationary so apart from a bit of paint off the crashbars, no real damage. Increasing the preload helps but I end up on tiptoes then when the load comes off. A shorter sidestand would cure it or better still an adjustable one.

Has anyone got any ideas or advice?

Bostedsprocket

No advice on stand, but next time your in Belgium check out the bikers loft, its only 28 euro per night, you keep your bike inside, good beer good food and live music on stage, when you get the chance google the bikers loft Belgium and you will see what I mean.
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

PaulScar

I have sourced a spare sidestand off fleabay at a good price and am thinking how to modify it. My current thinking is to cut a bit out just above the the thing at the bottom you deploy it with with your foot (thinking it should be a handle but why not a footle?), weld a bit of threaded rod into the upper part and tap a thread into or weld a nut on the lower part and lock into the required length with a locknut. Any better suggestions or ideas from you guys out there?

Tiger-G

Hi Paul (I'm guessing ??),

So are you saying that with all the gear on, Tiger's suspension sags to the point it won't go on the stand ?? If so, wonder if it's time for a new rear shock and a fork oil change ?? Mine always used to be ok touring fully loaded, but would probably be like yours now it's 12 years old. I can feel that the rear shock isn't doing its job as it should be  :icon_frown:

If you're modifying a stand, I would do it as you suggest at the lowest point possible. Then you keep the strength in the rest of the tube.

Would love to hear about your tour, you putting a ride report out with pics ??  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

trophydave

I've got a sidestand off my 955 that has been shortened by 25mm.The only issue is that the foot on the bottom needs welding back on.If anyone wants it they can have it for a fiver.

Chris Canning

When I went to a 17" front wheel had to go too a shorter side-stand take the plate off the bottom shorten to taste weld the plate back.

If you need a photo or measurements I can do that.

Not a pretty sight but its been like that for what must be 17 years??

VABird

When I lowered my '08 1050, I cut an inch out of the side stand and welded it back together. It worked great.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

PaulScar

I made up the adjustable side stand and it works a treat, Tried it fully loaded after adjusting the length shorter and unloaded after turning the adjustment back. The only drawback is that i have to carry a largish adjustable spanner in my toolkit now.

slovcan

That's awesome, Paul. You need to patent that so SW Motech or someone doesn't just copy it and make a fortune off it. That can be done for most any bike.

Cheers,
Glenn

VABird

Quote from: slovcan on August 19, 2019, 10:10:17 AM
That's awesome, Paul. You need to patent that so SW Motech or someone doesn't just copy it and make a fortune off it. That can be done for most any bike.

Cheers, Glenn

Speaking from experience, there is little money to be made by designing and fabricating specialty parts for obsolete, out-of-production bikes. The big companies won't mess with it. Jack-Be-Quick has made lifting brackets for T-Birds, R3's and Tiger 1050's. The Tiger 1050's bracket flopped. And as soon as the T-Bird went out of production, the bracket kit for it slowed way down.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Tiger-G

Good effort Paul, I always appreciate people getting off their @rse's and solving problems themselves  :icon_salut: 

I'll be looking for a Tiger round North Yorkshire with an adjustable side stand now  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.