News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing fuel tank - it grew!

Started by bowyer2002, May 31, 2019, 06:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowyer2002

In my tinkering/maintenance of my Tiger I repeatedly have to ratchet strap my tank to get the tank's holes to line up with the frame so I can insert the mounting bolts.
Has anyone else had to do this? It seems like my fuel tank, while off, gets bigger and the holes don't just line up for me.
Luckily the HEED crash bars are a great location for the ratchet strap to be attached.

ssevy

that is caused by the ethanol in our shitty fuel infiltrating the nylon tank material and causing it to swell. I installed a Caswell tank sealing kit after I left it empty and let it dry out and shrink back to shape, and it has been perfect since.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bowyer2002

This is good to know!
I am currently running NON ethanol fuel - only available at one pump in town tho.
I will dry and line the tank, thanks!

bowyer2002

Newsman

hello
mine has done this too, roughly how long do they take to dry out, I use my bike every day and I was wondering how long I would have to do without it?
Thanks
Andre

ssevy

Mine was off for a while as I waited to have it welded. Sorry, don't know, but having a fan blowing into the filler may accelerate the process.

tonytiger

Take mine off over winter. Drain fuel ( tip into car ) Then store in spare room over winter. Put some tank sealant in a while ago. I was plesantly surprised how easy it was.

ssevy

The only downside is that screwholes line up so well that the bolts like to work loose since they no longer have any side pressure on them from misalignment. I put some blue hylomar on my threads to increase their purchase, but I still have 2 that I have to snug up every now and then.

bowyer2002

My tank sealer arrived.
My tank has been off for a week with several hot sunny days of it sitting in the yard evaporating/drying.
I now need to do the screw shaking, roughing up the interior, rinse, dry and then seal.

bowyer2002

@ssevy - what tank prep did you do for sealing your tank?

ssevy

Caswell. The tank is made of nylon, and so far, so good.

bowyer2002

That's what I ordered - did you do the "shake drywall screws around in the tank" for good adhesion step?
If so, what does one then rinse it out with?
Thx.

ssevy

Nope. Just applied it and spent lots of time randomly turning it on my lap to distribute the sealer well.

bowyer2002

@ssevy - pls advise, what steps did you do for your tank sealing? Specifically, what/how did you seal the filler, petcock & low fuel sensor?  Thx!

tonytiger

What I I did was taped the low fuel sensor, the sensor part with masking tape. I had an old petcock so just screwed that in tipped sealant in, used masking tape over filler hole. And turned and shook tank. Unscrew old petcock and low fuel sensor and let it drain out into a suitable container. Don't try to drain it from the filler neck, as there's a lip.