News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

VALVE keeper failure - FIXED!

Started by bowyer2002, June 03, 2019, 02:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowyer2002

IT LIVES!  :rrr

After literally weeks of waiting on parts, getting WRONG parts, reordering and getting corrected parts I was able to...
Put it together without too much issue - new lapped valve, old springs, new keeper (grease to keep in place), new head gasket & new fluids. Front engine mounting holes were a little difficult to line-up but not too bad as there is some clearance for the bolts.

Earlier posts questioned the shims - they are all more uniform, from 2.65mm-2.75mm - I had to go to 2.20mm on the valve that had the keeper fail - now it is at 2.70mm.

I hit the starter & it RAN - though poorly initially, pulled carbs & cleaned them - fired right up!
Revved up to 5k on the lift w/o incident.
Went on short test ride to discover that I hadn't screwed the radiator cap all of the way down! Easy fix, then 10 mile test ride without issue.
Seat-of-pants-dyno evaluation = smoother engine & idle, quieter, more power.
Thanks for all the support and advice!
:occasion14